1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Featured Smoked Beef French Onion Soup

Discussion in 'Beef' started by jcam222, Oct 7, 2019.

1. jcam222

jcam222 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Had time on my hands today since I took a few days off for cooking and the late Monday night Browns game :) Decided I should do something with some of the smaller trim from the smoked shoulder clod I did Saturday. Rummaging around led me to this soup.

Chopped brisket.jpg
    Chopped up some of the odds and end pieces left after I sliced the larger end of the mock. Also used up the scrap ends I had after slicing the beef knuckle I did for lunchmeat.

onions.jpg
    Had some awesome sweet candy onions left I got out at the Amish produce stand. These things are amazingly sweet. Ended up sauteing two pans in salted butter.
    beef and onions in pot.jpg
    Cooked them together a bit in the pan and then tossed them into the larger Instant Pot. We love this kitchen tool! So much so that we have a regular and x large one. Use it constantly in the winter for soups, stews and a host of other things. I decided this was not enough onion so added a second pan full to this.

fill pot with broth.jpg

I added about a quart of my leftover smokey au jus from the cook Saturday. Its nice and smokey , has the coffee cocoa rub drippings in it along with a healthy does of garlic rosemary and thyme. Filled it up the rest of the way with broth made from Minors concentrate. Set it at 17 minutes on manual setting and let it natural release for about a half hour.

bowl1.jpg

Getting ready to serve up a bowl for my wife who will be home any minute from work.

bowl2.jpg
    Found some keto 0 net carb buns in the freezer that needed used up. Buttered them and hit them with a bit of garlic salt. Toasted them off in the oven.

bowl3.jpg
    I didn't have any Gruyere handy so decided Havarti should work in a pinch. I live in a pretty small town, not a chance of finding Gruyere locally lol.

bowl4.jpg
    Done just after she walked in. Mine will have about triple this amount of cheese on it :)

Well that's it. Thanks for looking. I will say it is pretty darn tasty as did she. Next time I made add a little sherry or wine to add some extra richness.

2. smokerjim

smokerjim Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

looks delicous!!

jcam222 likes this.
  3. That looks amazing! One of my favorites

jcam222 likes this.
  4. one eyed jack

one eyed jack Master of the Pit

I could almost taste it just reading your post.

Like!!

jcam222 likes this.
  5. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Followed along, with anticipation, and was enjoying every word and picture. It was the shot of the cheese that, well, brought me to want to comment. And then...

BRAVO! A truly enjoyable post! I'll be making some soon.:emoji_wink:...JJ

73saint and jcam222 like this.
  6. Very nice!

jcam222 likes this.
  7. Jabiru

Jabiru Meat Mopper

Very nice job on your soup, I bet it had a great flavor. Love the addition of the smokey au jus, I am going to have to try this.

We also use a Instant pot/pressure cooker for our soups and stews, 15-20 mins soup is done. So quick and easy, such a great cooking tool.

I even have one for cooking our Dog Food :emoji_wink:

jcam222 likes this.
  8. Fueling Around

Fueling Around Smoking Fanatic

Awesome.
    I love home made soup.
    PS I only eat home made soup.

jcam222 likes this.
  9. tx smoker

tx smoker Smoking Fanatic

That looks fantastic!! We both love French onion soup and I bet the addition of the smoked meat and au jus really set it over the top. Great job and a big LIKE!!

Robert

jcam222 likes this.
  10. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

One of our favorites for sure!
    And yours looks fantastic!!
    Al

jcam222 likes this.
  11. gmc2003

gmc2003 Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

That looks truly amazing. I haven't had a good french onion soup in years. I'll have to remedy that quick like.

Point for sure
    Chris

jcam222 likes this.
  12. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Awesome could eat a bowl of that for sure. Very nice post and a fine job of showing the process.

Warren

jcam222 likes this.
  13. Medina Joe

Medina Joe Meat Mopper

Great job. Boy did the Browns lay an egg last night. Hope we can win next week

zwiller and jcam222 like this.
  14. zwiller

zwiller Master of the Pit OTBS Member

LIKE Totally in the mood for some! Went to bed at half time and hoped they would put more points on top of that lame field goal but...

PS I keep frozen beef rib bones for adding to stock and soup. They also kick up a lowly can of grean beans BTW.

jcam222 likes this.
  15. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

jcam222 Thanks for the like it is appreciated.

Warren

jcam222 likes this.
  16. civilsmoker

civilsmoker Smoking Fanatic

Very nice!

Love french onion!

jcam222 likes this.
  17. disco

disco Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Wow! That looks delicious! Big like!

jcam222 likes this.
  18. jcam222

jcam222 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Thank you all for the kind comments. I feel pretty honored to have two features on the carousel at once!

19. Steve H

Steve H Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Looks amazing! I make onion soup. Never tried adding meat to it. And smoked meat. That had to be tasty.

jcam222 likes this.
  20. cmayna

cmayna Master of the Pit OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Yum! That last pic says it all !!!

jcam222 likes this.