Smoked Beef French Onion Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Had time on my hands today since I took a few days off for cooking and the late Monday night Browns game :) Decided I should do something with some of the smaller trim from the smoked shoulder clod I did Saturday. Rummaging around led me to this soup.

Chopped brisket.jpg

Chopped up some of the odds and end pieces left after I sliced the larger end of the mock. Also used up the scrap ends I had after slicing the beef knuckle I did for lunchmeat.

onions.jpg

Had some awesome sweet candy onions left I got out at the Amish produce stand. These things are amazingly sweet. Ended up sauteing two pans in salted butter.
beef and onions in pot.jpg

Cooked them together a bit in the pan and then tossed them into the larger Instant Pot. We love this kitchen tool! So much so that we have a regular and x large one. Use it constantly in the winter for soups, stews and a host of other things. I decided this was not enough onion so added a second pan full to this.

fill pot with broth.jpg

I added about a quart of my leftover smokey au jus from the cook Saturday. Its nice and smokey , has the coffee cocoa rub drippings in it along with a healthy does of garlic rosemary and thyme. Filled it up the rest of the way with broth made from Minors concentrate. Set it at 17 minutes on manual setting and let it natural release for about a half hour.

bowl1.jpg

Getting ready to serve up a bowl for my wife who will be home any minute from work.

bowl2.jpg

Found some keto 0 net carb buns in the freezer that needed used up. Buttered them and hit them with a bit of garlic salt. Toasted them off in the oven.

bowl3.jpg

I didn't have any Gruyere handy so decided Havarti should work in a pinch. I live in a pretty small town, not a chance of finding Gruyere locally lol.

bowl4.jpg

Done just after she walked in. Mine will have about triple this amount of cheese on it :)

Well that's it. Thanks for looking. I will say it is pretty darn tasty as did she. Next time I made add a little sherry or wine to add some extra richness.

Followed along, with anticipation, and was enjoying every word and picture. It was the shot of the cheese that, well, brought me to want to comment. And then...

Mine will have about triple this amount of cheese on it :)

BRAVO! A truly enjoyable post! I'll be making some soon.:emoji_wink:...JJ

Reactions: 73saint and jcam222
Very nice job on your soup, I bet it had a great flavor. Love the addition of the smokey au jus, I am going to have to try this.

We also use a Instant pot/pressure cooker for our soups and stews, 15-20 mins soup is done. So quick and easy, such a great cooking tool.

I even have one for cooking our Dog Food :emoji_wink:

Reactions: jcam222
That looks fantastic!! We both love French onion soup and I bet the addition of the smoked meat and au jus really set it over the top. Great job and a big LIKE!!

Robert

That looks truly amazing. I haven't had a good french onion soup in years. I'll have to remedy that quick like.

Point for sure
Chris

LIKE Totally in the mood for some! Went to bed at half time and hoped they would put more points on top of that lame field goal but...

PS I keep frozen beef rib bones for adding to stock and soup. They also kick up a lowly can of grean beans BTW.

Thank you all for the kind comments. I feel pretty honored to have two features on the carousel at once!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky