Smoked Baked Beans Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
There is one thing about baked beans & ribs, they both have a thousand recipes & everybody has their own and they are positive that they have the best one. I just love trying all the recipes!
Al

Recipe looks good, I have not made beans for quite a while, need to add this recipe to the book.

Thanks-

Jason

There is one thing about baked beans & ribs, they both have a thousand recipes & everybody has their own and they are positive that they have the best one.
I was helping with cooking for a clients safety award lunch and we made several pans of baked beans. One gal from the home office came up and said "I know this is probably a top secret but would you please share the recipe for the beans?". I replied "Sure, and you'll need a can opener". :emoji_laughing:

Totally unrelated question...

5-pound pork shoulder - approximate cook time at 225?
240° pit temp is my sweet spot for a butt or picnic, and I do inject. So, that pit temp I would guesstimate 5 or 6 hours to get good color, 2 hours wrapped, and 2 hours rested in a hotbox. At 225° maybe add 1 to 2 hours.

I threw it on the Traeger about 45 minutes ago at 225. I injected it with some apple juice and hit it with some Mad Hunky rub, along with Kosher salt and coarse ground pepper. I also did something that I have never done before. I used a mustard binder prior to adding the rub. I'll check it in about 3 hours.

I am going to experiment in my kitchen and create a glaze to drizzle over it later in the cook. I decided not to wrap and keep it low and slow.

90 minutes in

Attachments

• 20220807_121438.jpg
    20220807_121438.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 14
Man those look great! Check out this thread also. They are a family fav....

Jim
I make Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans, also. I substitute canned peaches in water for the pineapple because some of my family are allergic to pineapple or just don't like it. Extra bacon, too (can't have too much bacon, can you?🤣) and more jalapenos...

Reactions: JLeonard
4 hours in.

Just glazed and placed back on at 225

Attachments

• 20220807_141102.jpg
    20220807_141102.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 12
Its gonna take quite some time @225 and nekkid all the way... especially when the door keeps getting opened... taken out of the smoker... it all adds up to an extra hour or three by doing that ....

Did you check IT's at the four hour mark while you had it out ??

Also... I'll give a nod to Dutch's Beans too

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Here is the final product. It came out great!

Attachments

• 20220807_175304.jpg
    20220807_175304.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220807_175202.jpg
    20220807_175202.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220807_175118.jpg
    20220807_175118.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220807_175038.jpg
    20220807_175038.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: thirdeye
I make Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans, also. I substitute canned peaches in water for the pineapple because some of my family are allergic to pineapple or just don't like it. Extra bacon, too (can't have too much bacon, can you?🤣) and more jalapenos...
Got some rolling With peaches right now. Thought I had pineapple in the pantry.
Jim

What's great about this addicitve hobby if uurs is that there are absolutely no rules. None. Nada. Zero. Zilch. I've made combinations that have no earthly reason to be combined, but taste great.

Bringing this back for a taste test. The wife found a package of Navy beans last time she went shopping. I soaked them last night and they are simmering now. Making another batch of baked beans for supper. This is a test between canned pinto and dry navy beans from scratch. I can say now the house smells amazing just simmering them. Really nutty aroma.🙂

Corey

So finished supper, the beans were amazing. The verdict, my wife and I both agree that the flavor of the canned pinto beans and the dry navy beans was so close it wasn't worth mentioning. The big difference was the texture, the dry beans you can create any texture you want when boiling them. The canned beans were a bit mushy, and there is basically no fixing that. We prefer them a little bit less tender, more on the firmer side.

Summation, I preferred the dry beans for the ability to make them with the texture a person prefers. More work however. If I was in a rush and had to whip up some beans the canned ones would be the answer, just be prepared for possible mushy texture. Flavor is comparable between them.

As always this is just MY opinion.

Corey

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky