Smoked Atkins diet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

duresk

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Utah
I am doing the traditional "lose weight" for my New Year's goal. I have had success in the past while on the Atkins diet. I figure this year I will do the "Smoked" Atkins diet. Still will be the Atkins diet, but now all of the meat will be smoked. That should help me out and stay strong. 

It helps out with breakfast. Yesterday for breakfast I had eggs with venison bacon. This morning for breakfast I had leftover spare ribs I smoked yesterday. :)

That sounds very flavorful and fun!!!! Here's to us all meeting our New Year's weight goals!!!!!! Cheers! - Leah (Not sure why this is in "jokes" but I enjoyed it certainly, nonetheless)!!! Happy 2014!!!!!!

I didn't mean to put it in jokes. That was an accident. :) 

I have a turkey I am getting ready to throw in a brine before smoking. Just looking at the ways people are doing it on the forum. 

Thanks for the encouragement Bear. I am trying to find different ways to motivate myself. I am thinking I will do some related to smoking. Every 10 lbs I can buy a new toy for the smoker. :)

Top rounds and bottom rounds are lean cuts of beef.I normally smoke those to a medium-rare/mmedium consistency then let chill in the fridge. Once cold I sluice them thin for sandwiches or wraps. You could do something like that without the bread and roll the meat slices as snacks.

That sounds really good. I will have to get some rounds at the store. I am down about 8 pounds. I would be down more, but I took the weekend off and gained weight back. Apparently ice cream and 1:00 AM helps you put the pounds back on. :)

Is the joke that you are using an Atkins diet to get healthy? I'm sure there are many who have lost weight using it, but I don't think the long term health drawbacks of this fad diet are worth it.

Sorry man, not trying to rain on your parade. Losing weight is a worthy goal for the new year. Please, for your own sake, look at the long term negative health effects, not the short term weight loss.

"The American Cancer Society, the American Heart Association, the American Dietetic Association and the American Medical Association all have publicly come out against Atkins-like diets and warned of serious potential health risks." Atkinsexposed.org - lots of health organizations, peer reviewed journals etc on this site providing actual evidence and facts.

Anyways, not trying to bring you down, just don't think this diet is the best long term solution. And who doesn't want to be around longer to enjoy more of the good food we smoke on this forum?

Don't worry about raining on my parade, I always carry an umbrella. :) I remember first hearing about Atkins diet about 10 years ago and hearing you could dip your bacon in ranch and still lose weight. My wife and I agreed that while that did sound tempting, it didn't sound healthy. Looking at what I have been eating the last couple weeks, I guess I haven't been doing the "true Atkins" diet. I have cut out most of the carbs and processed foods from my diet, but I have replaced those with fruits and vegetables. I used to pretty much live on the three "m"s. Mtn Dew, McDonalds and Munchies. I also am limiting the amount of meat I am eating, because I know that too much meat is not healthy. I can't believe I just typed that. :)

I am trying to find that nice balance of healthy, but things I will actually eat. That is the hard part. Finding things that I can see myself eating for the next 20 years. I have done lots of fad diets and they all end the same. I lose a bunch of weight and then gain it all back, plus some. This time around I decided to take it a little slower and make lifestyle changes. So far, so good. 

Well Duresk, I commend you caring about health now and such!!!

That is sensational and it sounds like you're making some sound and super choices and changes; which aren't Atkins oriented but are instead just elements of a healthful lifestyle, which you articulated very well!

Good, good, good!!!

Cheers! - Leah

Hey Duresk

Miss Linda and I went to a naturalisc a few years back (wasn't my idea).  Her recomdation, which we followed for years, was divide your plate into 3.  One third carbs, one third meat, one third veggies.  You will not believe the amt of veggies you will be eating.  Believe me, very healthy.

Gary

I will have to try separating my plate into the three sections. Except when I smoke ribs. Then it will be one big sections for ribs and a very, very small section for everything else. Question about vegetables. Does coleslaw count as a vegetable? I do enjoy coleslaw. It goes well with all things smoked.

It sounds like rather than the Adkins diet you are actually on the Paleo or Primal diet.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Whichever way you want to look at it, it's always cool to find new ways to BBQ healthy or healthier meals. We should start a new thread or group that is dedicated to sharing healthy meals, sides, sauces, cooking methods, etc....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky