Smoked and Seared Bulgogi Marinated Bone-In Ribeye

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tander28

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Kansas
I'm in the process of moving, so haven't had a ton of time for the smoker lately. This has pretty much ruled out any long cooks, but when I saw $6 for a bone-in ribeye I knew I had time for that. It was thin for a bone-in cut, so I thought I'd try a new marinade.

I marinated it with jarred Korean BBQ/Bulgogi sauce (like Korean teriyaki) along with some garlic powder and a good amount of black pepper. Smoked on my Camp Chef on the High Smoke setting at 220 until it reached 115 IT. Then I did a hard sear on the sear box (preheated of course). I heavily oiled the cast iron grates and let that burn off so that the sugary marinade wouldn't stick too bad to the grates for the sear. A few minutes later I had a gorgeous looking ribeye that tasted every bit as good as it looked. I'll definitely be trying this again.
IMG_1072.JPG
IMG_1074.JPG
IMG_1077.JPG
IMG_1079.JPG
IMG_1080.JPG

Steak looks great. not too long ago I played around with some Korean Bulgogi tacos and they came out fantastic!! If you like that flavor profile you may want to give this a look. Done it a few times now and it's always a hit.

Marinade
4 T Soy Sauce
3 T Sesame Oil
4 T Rice Vinegar
1/4 c. Fresh Green Onion
1/4 t Powdered Ginger
3 T Brown Sugar
2 T Garlic
2 t Sesame seeds
1 t Sriracha
1 t Hoisin Sauce
1 t Crushed Red Pepper
1 t meat tenderizer

Add to 1 pound thinly sliced beef in a vac seal bag. Save approximately 1/3 of the marinade for topping tacos when plating. Vac seal the meat and let sit in fridge overnight

Remove meat from bag and pat dry with a paper towel but do not rinse

Smoke meat in grilling wok at low temp (160 +/-) with a mild wood (pecan or apple) for 1 hour then raise temp to 240 to finish. Monitor and remove when done (appx. 1 more hour)

Meat can also be cooked in a skillet or wok on the stove, but the smoke flavor is desirable

During your smoke, slice thin some cabbage and purple onion.

Sometime during all of this you have a choice. That marinade that you put off to the side can either be left as it is, or you can put it in a pot and reduce it down to give it a thicker consistency. I've done both and enjoy both. Cooking it does give it a slightly different flavor, so try both and see what you like.

Regardless of what you choose, I suggest straining the marinade before reducing or drizzling over the tacos.

Throw everything in a small flour tortilla, add some cabbage and red onion, drizzle some sauce over the top, enjoy.

Nice job!!
Robert

That looks great bet it tasted great too. Nice job I had bulgogi at my sister's last week and it was good but didn't look like that lol

Nice looking steak. Cooked perfectly
Thanks, Jake!
Damn man you killed that! Steak is cooked perfectly. Killer grill marks too. Points for sure!
Thanks! I couldn't believe the grill marks after my first flip (I love the curb appeal and actually like the char they add too), so I was extra careful to get them just right on the next flip haha.
Wow that looks absolutely perfect!
Thanks, Ray!
Steak looks great. not too long ago I played around with some Korean Bulgogi tacos and they came out fantastic!! If you like that flavor profile you may want to give this a look. Done it a few times now and it's always a hit.

[Recipe in post above]

Nice job!!
Robert
Sounds great, I'll have to give that a shot!

Looks awesome! I'll take two please.
Thanks, Brett!
Awesome! I love Korean Bulgogi
It is really good stuff, more character than a traditional teriyaki type sauce IMO
Beautiful piece of work, congrats on the ride, Like! RAY
Thanks, Ray! My first one ever, so I was very excited to see that on the home screen.
Looks great from here
Richie
Thanks, Richie!
T28, That steak looks perfect!
Thanks, Moon!
That looks great bet it tasted great too. Nice job I had bulgogi at my sister's last week and it was good but didn't look like that lol
It really was incredible for the price--gotta try to duplicate it!
That is one fantastic looking ribeye.
Nicely done!
Al
Thanks, Al!

Dang there is a problem here you only cooked one how can you share. I mean I sure could of done away with one of them cooked to my liking.

Warren

Marinade
4 T Soy Sauce
3 T Sesame Oil
4 T Rice Vinegar
1/4 c. Fresh Green Onion
1/4 t Powdered Ginger
3 T Brown Sugar
2 T Garlic
2 t Sesame seeds
1 t Sriracha
1 t Hoisin Sauce
1 t Crushed Red Pepper
1 t meat tenderizer

Add to 1 pound thinly sliced beef in a vac seal bag. Save approximately 1/3 of the marinade for topping tacos when plating. Vac seal the meat and let sit in fridge overnight

Remove meat from bag and pat dry with a paper towel but do not rinse

Smoke meat in grilling wok at low temp (160 +/-) with a mild wood (pecan or apple) for 1 hour then raise temp to 240 to finish. Monitor and remove when done (appx. 1 more hour)

Meat can also be cooked in a skillet or wok on the stove, but the smoke flavor is desirable

During your smoke, slice thin some cabbage and purple onion.

Sometime during all of this you have a choice. That marinade that you put off to the side can either be left as it is, or you can put it in a pot and reduce it down to give it a thicker consistency. I've done both and enjoy both. Cooking it does give it a slightly different flavor, so try both and see what you like.

Regardless of what you choose, I suggest straining the marinade before reducing or drizzling over the tacos.

Throw everything in a small flour tortilla, add some cabbage and red onion, drizzle some sauce over the top, enjoy.

Nice job!!
Robert

most excellent. i normally use rice wine instead of the rice vinegar and if you puree about 1/2 an apple or pear, it's also good. with these variations, it will be a little sweeter of course. this marinade you can use for any meats. also for pork, you can add some gochujang (spicy fermented chili paste).

That's a beauty! I too reverse sear a lot of steaks but I struggle when their thin. It looks like you nailed that one.

Dang there is a problem here you only cooked one how can you share. I mean I sure could of done away with one of them cooked to my liking.

Warren
haha only found the one at that price, next time though!
That's a beauty! I too reverse sear a lot of steaks but I struggle when their thin. It looks like you nailed that one.
Thanks! It usually doesn't go this well reverse searing a thin one, but turned out great!
I can damned near taste that steak, mmm, mmm, yum!
LIKE!
It really was good, and thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky