Smoked and Deep Fried Wings with Blackberry BBQ sauce...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
So this is something we do every now and then...
IMG_20211020_152702062.jpg

and after my latest trip to Quaker State in which the wings were under cooked and tough, skin still soft AND they charged me $25 for 12 pieces.... it was time to fill my wing craving. Quaker State just did not cut it.

Well, with the price of chicken, especially wings, I'd be crazy to buy a flat of wings for $20 bucks. When I made chilerelleno chilerelleno 's enchiladas, the stores were wanting $4.69/# for breasts on the bone!!! I can buy brisket for that price! So, I found a sale on whole friers...$1.29/#. Awesome! I bought 4 chickens and parted them out. breasts were grilled for the enchiladas, leg quarters were reserved for another gumbo, wings set aside for this dish, and back,giblets, parts, and pieces were put to boil to make stock.

So today, I am making another smoked chicken gumbo. I put the wings on to smoke along with the leg quarters. I pulled them after 2 hours, then fried in 330*F hot peanut oil for 2 minutes just to crisp up the skin. Toss in the Blackberry BBQ sauce, crack open a beer...and that was lunch inda kitchen while I finish up the gumbo.

Blackberry BBQ sauce recipe...

http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/stocks_sauces/stock_sauce02.htm

Originally, this sauce was for a smoked whole pork loin and it is excellent on pork! Works extremely well on wings too.

*note- I use seedless blackberry preserves in place of the fresh blackberries. I don't like diggin seeds out of my teeth.

Wings! I love wings. I have a pack of whole wings in the fridge $2.66/# here. After reading that recipe, it's begging for some heat.
Wings look great man! :emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: indaswamp
Wings are finger licking good and love a porter!
Thanks Brian!

Wings! I love wings. I have a pack of whole wings in the fridge $2.66/# here. After reading that recipe, it's begging for some heat.
Wings look great man! :emoji_thumbsup:
Thanks moto! I love wings too. I've made it a habit to save wings off whole birds I buy now for when I get a craving for wings.

Good looking wings!
Jim
Thank you JLeonard!

Great looking wings. Blackberry BBQ sauce recipe bookedmarked.
Thanks GATOR! The sauce is really good...just be sure to buy seedless preserves. You need 1 cup.

Great looking plate of wings

David
Thank you David.

Some great looking wings there bud!
Thanks CPAC!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks like a good wing fix to me...JJ

WOW!
That is a fine looking plate of wings there my friend!
We had wing 2 days ago, that I had seasoned & put in the freezer a couple of month ago. But sorry to say I was just too lazy to smoke them & Judy put them in the oven. They were still pretty darn good!
Al

Man that looks great from here! I like wings smoked, grilled, baked fried, seared, SV'd. I don't discriminate but a good deep fried one with a crunch on the outside has to be my favorite. I thought Yeungling was about everywhere now? We can buy cases here all day.

That is one fine lookin' plate Keith, Like! Once I hooked up with the Vortex shortly after I switched from wings to legs, twice the meat for a third the price, still get that crispy skin. I'm all loaded up on yardbird legs from Sam, 92¢ lb. RAY

Looks like a good wing fix to me...JJ
Thanks jimmy!

Great looking wings and I would love a Yuengling!!! Don't have them here in Oklahoma yet.
Thanks ravenclan. Black and Tan is my go to beer...

WOW!
That is a fine looking plate of wings there my friend!
We had wing 2 days ago, that I had seasoned & put in the freezer a couple of month ago. But sorry to say I was just too lazy to smoke them & Judy put them in the oven. They were still pretty darn good!
Al
Thanks Al! Nothing wrong with oven wings long as they are cooked right, and I know you know how to cook!

Man that looks great from here! I like wings smoked, grilled, baked fried, seared, SV'd. I don't discriminate but a good deep fried one with a crunch on the outside has to be my favorite. I thought Yeungling was about everywhere now? We can buy cases here all day.
Thanks SVols! I like wings any way, but smoked then fried are my favorite.

That is one fine lookin' plate Keith, Like! Once I hooked up with the Vortex shortly after I switched from wings to legs, twice the meat for a third the price, still get that crispy skin. I'm all loaded up on yardbird legs from Sam, 92¢ lb. RAY
Thanks Ray! They just had a sale here on thighs and drums....$0.88/#....

Insane! That meal looks incredible! Great idea on parting out the chicken, will be doing that soon here too!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky