SMOKE & SV PORK CHOPS(UPDATE SEE POST #25)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Cool !!
I never SV'd any Pork Chops longer than 3 1/2 hours, but 10 hours sounds Great to me!!:)
And the 3 hours of Smoke would be Great, if I could get away with that.:(

Don't let me miss it, Buddy!!

Bear

You got it Buddy!
It should be fun!
Might even sear them with a torch!
Al

There in the Smoke Vault right now getting cold smoked with Todds tube!
Al

They got 3 hours of cold smoke, then bagged & into the fridge last night.
They have been in the SV since 7:00 AM, so we should be eating around 3:30 PM.
I guess that means it must be beer O'clock now!
Al

LOL----I would put the Popcorn here, but we don't have any yet.

Be Back for a Sniff & a Taste!!

Bear

OK, so I did the chops again, only this time I wanted to try to get them fork tender. So I bought the same 1" thick chops.
IMG_5307.JPG

Next step I put them in Pops brine & some of my pork rub for 24 hours, in a vacuum marinating container.
IMG_5308.JPG

IMG_5313.JPG

IMG_5318.JPG

Then 24 hours later, I rinsed them off & coated them with my rub.
IMG_5328.JPG

Into the Smoke Vault for 3 hours of cold smoke, no heat, just Todd's tube with hickory pellets.
IMG_5433.JPG

Then into the vac bag.
IMG_5437.JPG

And then into the SV set at 131.
IMG_5444.JPG

This time I left them in there for 8 hours.
IMG_5441.JPG

After 8 hours I took them out & poured the juice out of the bag for Au Jus.
IMG_5449.JPG

And since I'm going to all this extra trouble, I seared all sides with a propane torch. This time I was smart enough to do it outside in a CI pan. The last time I did this I burned the crap out of one of our cutting boards.
IMG_5476.JPG

And here is the finished pork chop served with the AuJus, and some garlic shells.
IMG_5487.JPG

Well the verdict is: Although the chop had tremendous flavor, and was quite tender. It wasn't tender enough to be cut with a fork, so back to the drawing board. I'm not sure what I will try next, but with pork being so cheap, I can afford to experiment a lot. Judy & I both thought the flavor was spot on, so nothing to change there. Just have to work on the texture. Maybe 16-20 hours in the SV might do it. I'm thinking a quick sear on both sides then a long bath in the SV, and another sear with the torch. Don't know for sure, but maybe next week I'll take another run at it!
Thanks for looking!
Al

Reactions: Bearcarver
Great lookin piece of meat . Love the brine on the chops . Be waiting for the next test . Thx .

OK, so I did the chops again, only this time I wanted to try to get them fork tender. So I bought the same 1" thick chops.

This time I left them in there for 8 hours.

Well the verdict is: Although the chop had tremendous flavor, and was quite tender. It wasn't tender enough to be cut with a fork, so back to the drawing board. I'm not sure what I will try next, but with pork being so cheap, I can afford to experiment a lot. Judy & I both thought the flavor was spot on, so nothing to change there. Just have to work on the texture. Maybe 16-20 hours in the SV might do it. I'm thinking a quick sear on both sides then a long bath in the SV, and another sear with the torch. Don't know for sure, but maybe next week I'll take another run at it!
Thanks for looking!
Al

I'd go with the same as I used to make my original Chuckies & my Eye Rounds Fork Tender----21 hours in the SV @ your favorite Temp.
I was hoping the 10 hrs you were planning on would do it, but I was doubtful. I'd go 21 hrs.
However---It looks Fantastic!!
Like.

Bear

Great lookin piece of meat . Love the brine on the chops . Be waiting for the next test . Thx .

Thanks chopsaw!
Yea this is going to be an ongoing thing until I get it right. But it's fun & I like pork chops, just about any way you make them!
Al

I'd go with the same as I used to make my original Chuckies & my Eye Rounds Fork Tender----21 hours in the SV @ your favorite Temp.
I was hoping the 10 hrs you were planning on would do it, but I was doubtful. I'd go 21 hrs.
However---It looks Fantastic!!
Like.

Bear

Yea John, I think your right. Next time 21 hours at 131 after a sear on both sides. You have way more experience with SV than me and I thought doubling the time would make a difference. Although you told me before I did it , that it probably wouldn't, and you were right. So probably next week I'll give it a go again!
Thanks for your advice, maybe I'll take it the next time! :confused:
Al

Look amazing Al , congrats on the carousel well deserved.

Thank you Sir!
I very much appreciate the kind words!
Al

Al. You done anymore experimenting on this? I took 2 thick chops out of freezer today. Only thing at this point I know is I want to sous vide. Does the smoke come through enough?

Al. You done anymore experimenting on this? I took 2 thick chops out of freezer today. Only thing at this point I know is I want to sous vide. Does the smoke come through enough?

Yes the smoke comes thru, the key is SV’ing them long enough to get them fork tender. I haven’t done any more experimenting with them, but I think smoking them to an IT of 125, then SV at 132 for 8-12 hours depending on how thick they are would be he way to go.
Al

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky