Smoke/sous vide/smoke brisket test

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richorn

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 14, 2018
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Inspired by a post about pastrami and sous vide, I am running a test. I cut up my packer this morning, and am using a 1lb section for a test.

I used a SPOG rub, and low smoke to 120*. Now it is in a bag at 135* in the sous vide bucket. I made a quick red wine based marinade and put it into the bag. the SV timer is set for 72 hours.

I have the bag clipped to the side of the bucket so I can remove the marinade if needed.

The question!! Should i just leave the marinade in for a short time, or let it ride the full 72 hours? All opinions welcome!!

Marinade for 72 hours? With the acidity due to the wine, wouldn't that amount of time reek havoc in regard to breaking down things too much?

Marinade for 72 hours? With the acidity due to the wine, wouldn't that amount of time reek havoc in regard to breaking down things too much?
That was my concern. I was initially thinking about juicy and tender. I'm WAY new to all this, and I stole the recipe for the marinade from a "marinate overnight in the fridge" method. I'm starting to think I should be concerned about the heating the marinade part and just drain it after a few hours.

Marinading overnight in a cold fridge for say 8-10hrs is one thing but at 135º and for 72 hours, not so much.

Reactions: richorn
When I do pastrami, I cover the brisket with black pepper & smoke it at 225, to an IT of 150, it usually takes about 6 hours, then I vac pack it with pickling spices & more black pepper & set the SV for 155. I let it go for 24 hours & it always comes out very tender, but still has some texture to the meat. I have done several this way, and as a matter of fact I have one in the SV right now. It should be done in about 8 hours. Then I put it in the fridge after it cools down & will slice it on the meat slicer tomorrow.
Good luck with yours!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky