smoke house

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Beaverdam213

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 27, 2019
Oregon
I want to build a smoke house. Can anyone recommend ideas? size? what materials? i was thinking 5x5’...

cold smoke or hot smoke? the bigger they are the more fuel it takes to run 1 , its amazing what you can pack onto shelfs when you need to , having a good drain system and a way to wash said system out is as important as the wood you choose imo, keeping it clean and bug and rodent free can be a challenge imo. 2' deep 4' wide 8' tall can hold a whole lot of any thing you can think of to smoke, making racks and ways to adjust to any size would play a important part of a long term smoker for hot smoking, the cold smoking traditionally have shelfs /tables with meat salted/curing and are left unheated after the smoking is over so more room is needed, I think my grandfathers was somewhere around a 12'x12' thinking back. The last 1 I remember was my uncle Franks and it was a 10'x10' and he mostly cured pork ,grandpa had 13 kids, took a lot of everything to keep them fed lol

Reactions: Winterrider
Yes going to take a lot of fuel to keep something that big warm enough.
This is about 3x3x7 ,will hold over #100 of deer sausage.
20181108_132429.jpg
20181108_132349.jpg

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky