• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

smoke house

Beaverdam213

★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined May 27, 2019
I want to build a smoke house. Can anyone recommend ideas? size? what materials? i was thinking 5x5’...

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
cold smoke or hot smoke? the bigger they are the more fuel it takes to run 1 , its amazing what you can pack onto shelfs when you need to , having a good drain system and a way to wash said system out is as important as the wood you choose imo, keeping it clean and bug and rodent free can be a challenge imo. 2' deep 4' wide 8' tall can hold a whole lot of any thing you can think of to smoke, making racks and ways to adjust to any size would play a important part of a long term smoker for hot smoking, the cold smoking traditionally have shelfs /tables with meat salted/curing and are left unheated after the smoking is over so more room is needed, I think my grandfathers was somewhere around a 12'x12' thinking back. The last 1 I remember was my uncle Franks and it was a 10'x10' and he mostly cured pork ,grandpa had 13 kids, took a lot of everything to keep them fed lol

Winterrider

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 29, 2018
Yes going to take a lot of fuel to keep something that big warm enough.
This is about 3x3x7 ,will hold over #100 of deer sausage.
20181108_132429.jpg
20181108_132349.jpg

HalfSmoked

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
If you scroll down home page you will come to a heading on smoke house.

Warren

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.