Smoke Au Vin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I am not big on classic French cooking, but I do love Coq Au Vin. The French braised chicken dish has that delicious wine, onion, and herb flavour that is the signature of French cooking.

The problem with the dish is that it takes several steps and a lot of time. I had a chicken I had cut up and wondered if I could introduce those flavours into chicken made in my Traeger Timberline.

I cut a 1.2 kg (2 1/2 pound) chicken into pieces, but you could use 2 to 3 pounds of chicken pieces.

Put 250 ml (1 cup) red wine, 5 ml (1 tsp) dried thyme, and 5 ml (1 tsp) dried rosemary in a nonreactive container and put the chicken pieces in. Add 175 ml (3/4 cup) of diced onion and 3 cloves garlic, finely diced. Cover the container and put it in the fridge overnight.

Take the chicken out of the marinade and discard the marinade. Put the chicken on a rack and pat it dry with a paper towel.

Mix a rub of:

• 5 ml (1 tsp) dried rosemary
  • 5 ml (1 tsp) dried thyme
  • 5 ml (1 tsp) coarse pepper
  • 5 ml (1 tsp) Kosher salt
Sprinkle it over all sides of the chicken pieces. Let them sit for 30 minutes.

Smoke Au Vin 01.jpg

I put the chicken in a preheated 350 F (176 C) smoker. Cook it to an internal temperature of 170 F (77 C) in the thickest piece of chicken. It took about 1 hour 15 minutes in my smoker.

Bring the chicken in and let it rest for 5 minutes.

Smoke Au Vin 03.jpg

Serve.

Smoke Au Vin 04.jpg

Smoke Au Vin 05.jpg

The Verdict

This was very tasty chicken. It had flavours of Coq Au Vin but, of course, It didn’t have the classic sauce. I loved the wine and herbs. The skin was tasty while the flesh was moist.

I will make this again.

Disco

Looks really good, maybe add more red wine next time for added sauce.

Looks really good, maybe add more red wine next time for added sauce.

Thanks, see the bottom of this reply re the sauce.

I wonder what would happen if you brought the discarded marinade to a simmer while it was cooking? I'm sure it could be a very tasty "sauce".

Either way, looks great!

It was tasty. Check the end of this reply re the sauce.

Looks delicous Disco!

Thanks, Jim!

The idea of a sauce is great. When I first came up with this I thought using the marinade would be too strong a wine flavour but the suggestions got me thinking agian. There is no reason I couldn't cut the sauce with some chicken stock to get a more balanced sauce. Thanks for the idea!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky