Smoke 2: Ribs and Butts with Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jlozo21

Original poster
Mar 3, 2020
Hi everyone! Had quite an eventful day of smoking this past weekend. Tried spare ribs and pork butt for the first time.

Seasoned up the butts and ribs with a pork rub I got from the gentleman that sold me the Assassin 72. Wrapped them in plastic wrap and stuck them on the fridge.
IMG_20200711_000957.jpg

IMG_20200711_001019.jpg

Late the next morning I got the Assassin 72 with 3rd shelf fired up. This time, I put on the BBQ guru adapter and decided to use that for the first time since I was doing a longer cook with the pork butt. What an adventure that was!
image000001_4.jpg

It took about 2 hours to get up to temp. Next time I'll be using half a chimney or more to get it up to temp rather than about 10 briquettes. That worked for the Daisy wheel but not with the guru!

Long story short, got the between 225 - 250. Took a loooong time to get the temp up and under control, but once I did it maintained well. I used a big "U" shape in one of the charcoal baskets. Took the other side out and set it up in anticipation of having to swap them out. The first one tray (including warm up) lasted about 5 hours. The second tray lasted about 9 hours!

This was about 4 or 5 hours in. Tried wrapping one rack and the other just naked! Wrapped with brown sugar, butter, and honey. My wife likes 'em sweet. Started spritzing the butt with apple juice/CV every hour.
image000000_10.jpg

Ribs were ready after about 6 hrs, just after supper time unfortunately (kids couldn't wait anymore). Cooked them to 195*. Big shout out to Al for his post on that method!! Both times the rubs have been juicy, delicious and bite off the bone. My kids ended up having ribs for a bedtime snack and are huge fans!

image000000_7.jpg

image000001_5.jpg

Pork Butt seemed to hit a stall around 145. I ran it threw the 2nd pan of charcoal and it was still at 170*. It was about 1:30am at this point, so I pulled them off the assassin and put them in the oven at 215 and went to bed. Cranked it up to 225 for the last 10 degrees after I woke up. Pulled them out of the oven at 205 and let them rest. Pulled and finished one pan off with JJ's finishing sauce! Amazing sauce JJ, thanks for that!
image000000_11.jpg
image000003.jpg

All in all a great day, learned a lot. And the family really like the end results. I'd like to think it will only be getting better too. Thanks for reading. Smoke on!

J

Looks good. Congratulations on the first butt nice job

Reactions: jlozo21
Thanks everyone! We did round 2 if sandwiches, nachos, and a salad. Also thought about tacos, quesadillas, or loaded fries/tots. Trying to think a bit outside of the box. I'm curious, what do you guys/gals like to do with left over pulled pork?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky