Small Collagen Sticks.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes, I have the side hole. I've just been putting the maze on the left side on the bottom. It has worked well. I'm just wondering if the fan pulling air across it might ignite it.

After couple days in a brown bag and fridge its time to cut.

gpljc1.jpg

Going to band these like bundles of cigars. I'm using food grade silicone bands made for tying legs of chickens, trussing meat, they are rated for 450*
gplj2.JPG

gplj3.jpg

gplj4.JPG

And I'm going to wrap and back in bag and fridge for couple more days.
gplj5.JPG

Damn those look good . That further drying in a paper bag or pink paper adds a ton of flavor . Improves texture too .

Damn those look good . That further drying in a paper bag or pink paper adds a ton of flavor . Improves texture too .
I been doing some things different.

Like after stuffing let them hang at room temp overnight. If I have a pork cut in I wrap them in a bag then the the top so they get a little humidity. You could do the same in your smoker (no heat or smoke) add a container of water, close off all dampers. We are in freezing temps now so for me right now the smoker hang is out.

Reactions: chopsaw
Any idea what the final weight loss is on those sticks? They look great. The goose ones I been making, been drying to 40% for deer stand snacks, almost jerky sticks....but they are shelf stable and can be left out at room temp. vac sealed...

Reactions: chopsaw
been doing some things different.
Yup . If the outside temps are right , I shut the smoker off and let them hang overnight .
I also will hang in my basement ( 60 * ) overnight if it's hot out . wrap in pink paper to store .
final weight loss is on those sticks?
I always want to check mine , but never do . I go extreme . These were 2 weeks in a 36 degree fridge wrapped in pink paper . Like you said , great for snacking in the woods .
20201018_113558.jpg

Any idea what the final weight loss is on those sticks? They look great. The goose ones I been making, been drying to 40% for deer stand snacks, almost jerky sticks....but they are shelf stable and can be left out at room temp. vac sealed...
Not sure, being smoked I just winged it.

Reactions: indaswamp
You hang overnight at room temp after stuffing? And then in a paper bag in fridge for a couple days after smoking before packaging? Thanks for the tips this is helpful.
Yup

Reactions: Nodak21
Yup . If the outside temps are right , I shut the smoker off and let them hang overnight .
I also will hang in my basement ( 60 * ) overnight if it's hot out . wrap in pink paper to store .

I always want to check mine , but never do . I go extreme . These were 2 weeks in a 36 degree fridge wrapped in pink paper . Like you said , great for snacking in the woods .
View attachment 680157
Been doing this for so long that I dont eat many of them. So I just gift to family & friends.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky