Small Briskret Is On - Q View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That looks amazing. I say you did pretty darn good. I've cooked a couple briskets now in my pellet pooper and while they've been okay, maybe even good, still not quite what I'm looking for. I've been using Pit Boss pellets and am thinking they just don't give enough smoke flavor for me so am switching to Lumber Jack pellets.

How do you like the Traeger pellets? I've seen mixed reviews on them.

Thank you! I have only ever used the Traeger pellets, so tough for me to compare against anything else. They seem to work well. This was only the third cook I've done on it. I feel like they have put off enough smoke for my liking. I would be curious if others have different experiences with other brands of pellets?

Have you considered an AMNPS tube? I do not have one, but I have heard that they will help address the lack of smoke sometimes from pellet smokers.

That is a very nice job on your first brisket flat!

If the thicker parts were dry and a little more dense/tough it just needed to go longer.

What you will learn with a brisket is that probing one is not as simple or forgiving as other cuts of meat.
The key is to probe the thickest part of the flat towards the center most part of the flat. Yes that is a somewhat odd description but you can't go to far to one side or to far away from the center of the flat so take the best of both worlds.

I personally run 3 probes in the flat of the brisket and they do CRAZY things during the cook but settle down towards the end. Of the 3 probes I run I usually get 1 placed correctly. I've had one read 212F, the other read 208F, and the final one read 203F when the entire thing finally probed tender and was ready to pull.
Had I used only 1 probe I may have had an inaccurate reading due to placement. I think this is one of the reasons why people have briskets that are tender at different temps... the probe placement is not forgiving!

I believe that wrapping the flat was a great call and it is what I would do with a brisket flat since it is the problem child of the brisket cut lol. Just keep at it and you will get it down in a couple more smokes. Best of luck!

Thank you! Good point on the probes. I only had one probe from my iGrill2 in what I think was the middle of the thick part. Next time, I'll run a few more probes. In probing different areas with the ThermaPop, I did notice variances.

Looks great to me

Thank you!

Looks pretty darned good, especially for being your first one. I agree also with the multiple probes as tallbm said. When you get to that 195-203 time I like to probe it with a probe / toothpick see if it slides in with little or no resistance. If it does it should be done. I like to wrap mine in parchment paper then towels and into the cooler. When I wrap in parchment I do add a little of the broth as well. I will leave it up to 4 hrs at times as time permits. There are a ton of variances out there to try. Good luck on future ones... Like

Looks pretty darned good, especially for being your first one. I agree also with the multiple probes as tallbm said. When you get to that 195-203 time I like to probe it with a probe / toothpick see if it slides in with little or no resistance. If it does it should be done. I like to wrap mine in parchment paper then towels and into the cooler. When I wrap in parchment I do add a little of the broth as well. I will leave it up to 4 hrs at times as time permits. There are a ton of variances out there to try. Good luck on future ones... Like

Thanks for the feedback. Do you let the brisket cool any between when you take it off the smoker, wrap, and place in the cooler? I'm curious if it needs to cool any or better to go straight into the cooler.

I send it straight to the cooler after it is wrapped. As i said earlier there are many variances as to how. Some do not wrap some do not pan or use fluids either. It just seems to work so that is how I have been doing it. I have one on now I will post some pics later today

Reactions: illini40
I think it looks awesome! Congrats. I have had brisket on the brain for a while now and am reading up before I smoke my first one.
First question, is it a flat or a point? I’ve read the flat is what most do when not doing a full packer but that the point is more flavorful though also more fatty.
Question 2, what model Traeger do you have and did the small wheels come on it? I have a Pro Series 22 and it does not have the little wheels.

I've yet to get the perfect brisky. I think about everyone I've heard that cranks up the heat towards the end says it is a little drier than expected. Now I don't know if that is the reason but I surely can understand b/c it takes forever for a brisket. Others can say for sure b/c just about everyone has more experience in briskets than me but I think keeping a steady heat is a key whether you are cooking low and slow or hot and fast.

I send it straight to the cooler after it is wrapped. As i said earlier there are many variances as to how. Some do not wrap some do not pan or use fluids either. It just seems to work so that is how I have been doing it. I have one on now I will post some pics later today

Thanks. Let us know how your brisket turns out today!

I think it looks awesome! Congrats. I have had brisket on the brain for a while now and am reading up before I smoke my first one.
First question, is it a flat or a point? I’ve read the flat is what most do when not doing a full packer but that the point is more flavorful though also more fatty.
Question 2, what model Traeger do you have and did the small wheels come on it? I have a Pro Series 22 and it does not have the little wheels.

I would encourage you to just try one. I was hesitant too, but if you get a plan together, it makes it easier.

It was a flat. I have not seen just a point sold. I would be curious if anyone has seen points for sale?

I have the Traeger Pro 34. It has the larger wheels on one end, and the smaller locking wheels on the other end. Does that clarify?

I've yet to get the perfect brisky. I think about everyone I've heard that cranks up the heat towards the end says it is a little drier than expected. Now I don't know if that is the reason but I surely can understand b/c it takes forever for a brisket. Others can say for sure b/c just about everyone has more experience in briskets than me but I think keeping a steady heat is a key whether you are cooking low and slow or hot and fast.

Good point - thanks for the idea on the steady temp. I think my next one will start out at a higher temp - maybe trying to run around 250* for the entire cook.

I’m curious if you placed the foil pan, with the broth still in it, into the cooler for the rest? Or did you drain it? What’s the best plan. I’m going to follow this tomorrow as I have a brisket without a fat cap.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky