Small "big cuts" Killing Me

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cottrillj

Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
IL
A couple weeks ago, I smoked a 4lb brisket that took 9 hrs. Yesterday, I did a 3.5lb pork shoulder that took 8 hrs. Both had to be foiled to help bring IT up and both ended up dry by the time they hit 200 IT. I'm doing two 8lb butts this weekend. Should I just foil them at 160?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Try a higher pit temp. I've been smoking butts running the pit at 285-300 and get the same results as low and slow, only a bunch faster. I prefer to not foil even with low and slow. I just make sure I have the time to do it. My last low and slow butt took 21 hours (2) 9 pounders, pit temp was 250. That was two years ago. Since then it's been higher temp pit, and done in about 1 hour per pound.

Last edited:
I have a MES30. I can only go 275, but I certainly planned to turn up the temp

A couple weeks ago, I smoked a 4lb brisket that took 9 hrs. Yesterday, I did a 3.5lb pork shoulder that took 8 hrs. Both had to be foiled to help bring IT up and both ended up dry by the time they hit 200 IT. I'm doing two 8lb butts this weekend. Should I just foil them at 160?

If your wanting to speed up your smoke go ahead and foil them at 160. Being 8lbs they shouldn't end up dry. I alway cook my butts to 205 or until I get decent bone wiggle.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky