SLC ribs went wrong

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Floridajetsfan

Original poster
Jan 23, 2018
Navarre, FL
Did 2 racks of SLC ribs yesterday. I usually do them at 270 for around 4-4.5 hours and the meat just falls off the bone. After reading some of the techniques, I decided to go with the low and slow - 225 for 6 hours. They were tough and chewy. Very disappointed. I'm guessing they needed more time, but they weren't large? One was 3.8 lbs., and the other mighta been 3 lbs. My first clue shoulda been that the ribs never really pulled back on the bones. Bummed, but I'll go back to a hotter temp next time.

Damn, that sux. Throw them in a slow cooker/Crockpot and it might get em better.

Maybe not cooked enough, I check to ensure internal temp is around 190F before taking off.

I use SmokinAl SmokinAl 's method and they do come out perfect everytime.

Reactions: Floridajetsfan
Cooking BBQ by cooking temp and time alone is often a recipe for failure.
There simply must be accompaning test(s), Internal Temp and Tenderness being the most common.
IT too can be a wide variable, for some it is merely a guideline by which to start testing tenderness .

For ribs, IT can vary on whether you desire a Light Tug or Fall Off the Bone.
SmokinAl SmokinAl 's method by IT yields a Light Tug.

Then there are all the Times Methods, 3,2,1 and so on.
The standard 321 seems to yield the Fall Off the Bone results.
3, 1.5, 1 or somesuch yields a Light Tug.

I utilize a low/slow temp of 225-250 and an approx 6-7 hours time in conjunction with the Pop, Bend and Crack test, which yields a Light Tug.

Your mileage may vary with any method or piece of meat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Floridajetsfan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky