Sky from Fires in California

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
I woke up from a nap and thought it was early evening and I'd slept through supper. Nope. It was 5:15 pm. The sky outside was what it looked like at sunset. Smoke from nearby fires, some new, some flaring up. Most are 20-150 miles away.

20200908_171630.jpg

20200908_171637.jpg

20200908_171645.jpg

20200908_171659.jpg

Stay safe all. I cant imagine fires 20 miles away. Thats crazy.

We've had orange skies before lots of times, but this is the first time it looked like storm clouds. We learned a new term for the billowing smoke formations that look like clouds: Pyro cumulus.

Stay safe all. I cant imagine fires 20 miles away. Thats crazy.
Couple of weeks ago it was 900ft from the front door... 😵 Luckily our house still stands, but not all. Quasi smoke with burnt hills in first picture about a week and a half ago. Second from today, that's not cloud cover, that's all smoke.
20200825_070747.jpg
20200908_070553.jpg

The winds shifted today and the fire jumped the Feather River. And it was spreading at a rate of 1,000 acres per 30 minutes. Forest Service said that it has grown more than 20,000 acres today.

The LNU Complex here is the 2nd largest in state history last I read. Im sure you CA folks saw it on the news, it was about getting people out and not fighting the fire the night of 8/18, early morning 8/19. They sure as heck made us get out at 2:30am. My relatives joked the only thing standing will be my bbq and the chimney, thought the same thing.

Topped off with all the dust from the Almond harvest makes for some very bad air quality ! No where to go to get away from this, The last 5 years this is the new norm for California . It's still early in the fire season too.! Waiting to see what town will burn up next....

As long as it clears by early November in time for quack season in the greater sac valley. Lost my quail spots for a few years to come.

Looks like the Midwest when a good storm is coming in!
[/QUOTE

My thoughts exactly. That's what it has looked like around here most of the summer--one storm after another. If I looked out and saw that, I'd be checking the sump pump. Again.
Gary

The winds shifted today and the fire jumped the Feather River. And it was spreading at a rate of 1,000 acres per 30 minutes. Forest Service said that it has grown more than 20,000 acres today.

Hard to imagine. Definitely bad time in California.
Stay safe guys.
Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky