Skewered Bacon Wrapped Sirloin Filet W / Veggies (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Seen a few kabob threads recently and I've posted one or two. We used to make these regularly but for some reason let them go by the wayside until a few months ago. With this new found love affair with an old flame I decided to ratchet it up a bit and make something a bit more elevated a few days ago. It was still a quick and easy meal but a notch or two above what one would consider a shishkabob. I did whole sirloin filets that had been bacon wrapped and seasoned. Also did some pasta shells tossed with homemade beef gravy.

Here are the filets. An 8 oz. for me and a 6 oz. for Tracy
006.jpg

Start the gravy. First thing, you gotta make a roux. Butter and flour
004.jpg

Roux darkening up. Time to add the rest of the stuff
007.jpg

All the goodies into the gravy pan. Now just need to let it simmer and thicken up
008.jpg

The steaks. Seasoned and bacon wrapped. Just salt and pepper
009.jpg

Onto the grill to sear real quick. Was afraid the veggies would burn before the steaks hit temp. They are pretty thick
012.jpg

Veggies all cut up
010.jpg

Gravy all done. This stuff is amazing!! About the best gravy I've ever made
011.jpg

Steaks lightly seared
014.jpg

Skewer all the goodies
015.jpg

Back on the grill to finish the steaks and char the veggies a bit. Brushed with copious amounts of garlic butter
016.jpg

Coming along nicely
018.jpg

Mix the gravy into the pasta shells
013.jpg

And here's the money shot. Dinner plated and ready to eat
022.jpg

This was a fun and very tasty adaptation of a shishkabob. As good as the steaks and veggies were, the star was the pasta and gravy. Man oh man that stuff was good!! I know Ryan ( Brokenhandle Brokenhandle ), gravy is a food group in and of itself :emoji_wink: After all the meat and veggies were gone from the skewer, we both went back for more of the pasta and there's wasn't a nibble left. I didn't write down anything or measure anything, but here's what went into the gravy:

-Butter and flour for the roux
-Beef broth
-Beef bouillon
-Black pepper
-Minced onion

That's it. So simple yet so delicious. Next time though I won't pre-cook the steaks. They were still nice and pink but leaning toward medium whereas I'd prefer them medium rare. No shot of the sliced steak because the plate went really ugly when I started slicing. Stuff was getting pushed all over the plate so I stopped taking pics where I did. Now the cogs are turning to see what other dastardly things I can run a bamboo shoot through and cook up. These were a smash hit and on the rotation now, just gotta think of how to make them better...or tastily different. So many different variations of things you can do like this you'll never run out of options. What fun this one was!!

Thanks for dropping in. Stay safe out there everybody!!
Robert

Last edited:
Wow, just another in a seemingly endless line of culinary masterpieces Robert, big Like! I can't remember every making gravy but I think I've got enough information from your post to give it a try, beautiful piece of work! RAY

Saw that kabob and was like
1c70f6c0acd0f4527ccbf45f5bf0923f.gif

Looks awesome Robert! I wouldn't have thought to put the gravy on noodles but looks like it all went very well together. Another fine looking meal my friend!

• Haha
Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
That works. Simple, no long marinating in complex solutions. Meat, Veg and Gravy over Macaroni...That's 'MERICAN FOOD!...JJ

That looks great Robert. Craziest kabob I've ever seen lol. I'd nail it though. Also I love gravy on pasta and rice. Your's looks delicious

Reactions: jcam222
WOW, WOW, WOW! That looks amazing! I'm gonna need more gravy tho...I'd have gravy over all of it. Although it'd be pretty big i bet I could make a gravy sammy out of it, just like Misplaced Nebraskan Misplaced Nebraskan would! Very nice Robert!

Ryan

That looks absolutely wonderful over the pasta Robert! If I were seated at your dinner table, I would very politely ask if I could have more gravy to dump over the whole dish.

Very nicely done!

Looks awesome Robert!! That’s one hell of a chunk of meat on a skewer!! I love a good filet and that all looks very tasty.

Lookin' real good Robert! Love the gravy over the pasta. When we were kids, many years ago, we used to put brown gravy over french fries. Haven't thought about that in years, until I saw your post.
Great kabob idea with that filet too done whole and not cut up.
Thanks for sharing.

Wow, just another in a seemingly endless line of culinary masterpieces Robert, big Like! I can't remember every making gravy but I think I've got enough information from your post to give it a try, beautiful piece of work!

Thank you Ray!! I used to buy all my gravy but had a taste for some one evening and didn't have any on hand. threw some together and it was far better than store bought. Made many, many different flavors over the past year or so. It's super easy to do.

Nice Job, Like that Idea

Thank you Gary. It was an interesting idea and a fun cook to put together.

Looks awesome Robert! I wouldn't have thought to put the gravy on noodles but looks like it all went very well together. Another fine looking meal my friend!

Very much appreciate it John. I've done gravy over pasta many times and it's just become something we do regularly. Heck, mac & cheese is nothing but cheese gravy over pasta so there's really no difference except flavor.

Robert

That works. Simple, no long marinating in complex solutions. Meat, Veg and Gravy over Macaroni...That's 'MERICAN FOOD!..

Hadn't thought about it in those terms but it's inarguable. Just god ol' simple, tasty, "Merican food. Couldn't stste it much better than that.

Yep, done it again Robert!

Very nice indeed...

Big LIKE!
That looks great Robert. Craziest kabob I've ever seen lol. I'd nail it though. Also I love gravy on pasta and rice. Your's looks delicious

Too funny Jake but thank you. You're well aware that I''m known to do come pretty crazy stuff once in a while. This is not exception. Wait till you see what I did last night :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: TNJAKE
WOW, WOW, WOW! That looks amazing! I'm gonna need more gravy tho...

Well, what can I say Ryan except thank you. There was actually over a quart of gravy on those noodles. The shells have a way of hiding the gravy inside. you get lots, you just can't see it.

Another touch down for Robert! Great job my friend!

Sincere thanks Steve...now get back to your family and your vacation. There's time for the forum when you get home. Be safe though!! It's crazy times we're in right now.

Nice work !

Thank you Chop. Appreciate it.

Robert

Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky