Skate used for scallops

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jersey Jimbo

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 26, 2020
At the Shore
Wonder how many here fish and use the skate wings to make scallops. I use to toss them back till another guy told me that he keeps the wings and they taste just like scallops. I will be damned if they don't. Only difference the wings have a ripple in the meat not smooth like scallops. Just wanted to let fellow fisherman know don't toss them back save the wings and use the body in your crab traps or kellie trap.

Reactions: JLeonard
I familiar with many rays and skates being used in this fashion.
But I've only tried Cownose and Southern rays from the Gulf and Bat and Thornback rays from the Pacific, none of which compare to the rich creaminess of properly cooked Sea Scallops.

Another good skate to eat is the Shovelnose Guitarfish aka Shovelnose or Sand shark, which has two tenderloin like fillets running along it's back that are simply scrumptious, but aren't prepped and cooked as scallops.

Reactions: jcam222
I thought this thread was going a different direction. I had hear of people selling the skate as scallops via false advertising type thing. So obviously they must be pretty decent as most didn't know. Pretty far from da ocean here but enjoy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky