Sirloin Tip Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vulcan75001

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 27, 2006
Danbury, Ct.
Well they had sirloin tip roasts on sale today...1.99/lb.. couldn't leave it there...tried to keep things simple... it was 8.5 lbs..coated it with evoo and used Durkee Grill Creations Steak Seasoning..KC style...for the only seasoning...hickory for the smoke...smoked it at 260*...and pulled it at 140*...real nice med/rare...tender isn't the word for it...soooo gooood...
The only problems I encountered... the seasoning turned out to be too salty...and the hickory chunks I was using would flame up rather on the quick side ..they were large pieces...then other chunks from the same bag would work ok...oh well...
The pics don't show it... but after having a bad experiance with a dried out brisket that didn't have much fat on it...I put the fat side down.. what little there was.. and put strips of bacon on the top...
Have to make room in the freezer and get another roast while they are on sale...

Later
Richard
d8d18ab5_vbattach10951.jpg

c4f630bd_vbattach10950.jpg

ed257f6a_vbattach10949.jpg

Thanks Guys..
I even surprised myself..how good it came out..will do this one again...thats for sure..

Richard

Hey Richard, Nice looking roast.. good smoke ring .. looks nice and juicey .. Congratulations on a great smoke!!

Joe

Fantastic looking roast! Looks juicy, cooked perfectly, mmmmmm. Nice job, and like you said, you can't beat the price!

Cheech...

Right at this moment I couldn't honestly tell ya...I didn't write that down...I'll have to ask the boss in the morning to see if she can remember...I will get back to ya on this..

Richard

Cheech
I asked the Boss this morning....and she seems to remember it being in the neighbor hood of 3 hours..which kind of sounds right to me ...will have to be more carefull next time and keep better track of important things..

Later
Richard

Hi There vulcan!

Really nice job on the Tip Roast!

One small tip on the Hickory Chunks flaming up!

I keep a 5 gallon pail loaded with my Hickory chunks soaking overnite in water. This accomplishes two things; produces great smoke for a longer period of time and almost eliminates flame-ups!

Try it and see 8)

ranger72 :)

OTBS # 14

Ranger..
Thanks..and Thanks for the tip...for the hickory...is that a common thing for hickory to flame easily?
I was beginning to wonder if my wood chunks were getting too old.. because when I did salmon this weekend my cherry wood flamed up real quick....so when I did my ribs yesterday...I soaked the hickory for about two hours..they lasted for a while longer but flamed up again...so I took out the baking pan I was using and put the heavy cast iron wood chunk pan that came with the smoker back in..and no more flame up..got a nice smoke back...now wouldn't it make sence..that when the cast iron reached the same temp that the baking pan did, that the wood ..would start to flame as well???? I don't know...didn't have time to really figure things out...things come out great anyway...sorry no pics this weekend...have my brother up from VA. for a visit..I guess they try to pass off fake bbq down there too...he already mentioned not returning to a couple places that claimed to be the real stuff...

Dutch...your baked beans came thru again..Thank you..

Ranger.. Thanks again

Later
Richard

anytime!

As it starts to get colder up here I will begin to use a feeder fire which I start first in a fabricated steel stove my nephew made for me.

I can get a great bed of coals going after a while and I feed those coals into the firebox of my Brinkmann Cimarron deluxe smoker and that way the temperature doesn't fluctuate too much, causing longer cookeing times and the possibility of creosote.
wink.gif

ranger72 :)

OTBS # 14

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky