Since the turkey was going to be $125...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbqmzungu

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Uganda Africa
That's one of the disadvantages of living in Africa.  We priced a turkey for Thanksgiving and a 17 pounder was going to be $125.  No, that isn't a typo. So...  We had chicken instead.  We can get 4 lb chickens here so we picked up 6 (cooking for 30 people).  Three were done in the oven traditional style.  I took 3 and brined them (salt, veggie stock, maple syrup, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, black pepper) overnight.  This morning I put them on the "FrankenQue" ugly barrel smoker over some local lump charcoal and mango wood chunks.  I basted it with maple syrup (makes the skin nice and crisp and gives it a sweet/salty taste).  Absolutely wonderful.  The only complaint was my own:  Everyone liked it so much, they ate it all so I have no leftovers for tomorrow's sandwiches.  Oh well.

BBQMzungu

All them crazy animals over there and no turkeys????   At least you could have chickens tho. Thats a bad bad deal about having no leftovers.

Makes me feel better about the 13 lb one I just got for 49 cents per pound with a $25 dollar separate purchase

At that price raise them and sell them.....
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

icon_cool.gif

Now a 125.00 for the turkey is way pout there in price but. I thinkl that I would have to buy a good gun and start shooting other animals that would taste good. Now I had a friend thats a big game hunter and he brought back some Wart hog and it's a ugly animal but my gosh how good it taste. Heck I might try some different heck I hear that you folks have some funny looking deer there too.

Turkeys don't do very well over here.  I think it has something to do with diseases or something.  It's just hard to keep them alive and well.  They don't have horses for the same reason.  We have friends that raise their own turkeys and always buy 2 in an attempt to have one stay alive to get big for eating.  We had to buy chickens as both of the ones they bought for Thanksgiving died.

As to getting a gun and shooting something else, well... uh... they don't take to kindly to either.  Park Rangers carry AKs and poachers are shot on sight and left for vultures.  I'm not kidding.  I think I'll just stick with chickens.  Seems a better idea.

BBQMzungu

Holy moley!  $125???

When we were shopping for our turkey I told my wife that price really didn't matter because we only cook a couple turkeys a year, and what the heck, it's a special meal,etc.

I'm sure I'm never going to say that again after reading about that price tag!

Glad to read you were able to get some chickens to fill in for their missing cousin.

Happy Thanksgiving!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky