Simple Fatty Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

m i z-b b q

Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Sikeston, MO
Hey Guys!  I was hoping to tackle my first fatty this weekend and I was trying to get a game plan.  I know what I plan on stuffing with and what not but I had a few things I was wondering.  What is the normal finishing IT that you guys try to get the Fatty to? And as a ballpark estimate, how long do they normally take to finish(I know its "not done til its done" hence my first question haha)?  I plan on doing just the small 1lb chub stuffed with a cajun jambalaya and pepperjack cheese for my first try.  Also any tips would be greatly appreciated as I have found a plethora of info from this forum already, but as you all know, you can never have too much info!!

Thanks!!

Luke

I take mine to 160-165.  The best advice I can give you is do not over stuff.  Good luck and post pics.
X2 - You can take it to a higher IT if you want it more done, that's your preference. I like to roll out the ground meat in a resealable bag and then refrigerate for a bit. I also completely cool any cooked fillings and then layer them on plastic wrap, roll up and chill - then I just unroll and lay on the ground meat. I roll this up, seal the ends and seam and chill again, if I'm putting a bacon weave on it; roll this up, chill and fire up your smoker.

Reactions: m i z-b b q
Hey Guys!  I was hoping to tackle my first fatty this weekend and I was trying to get a game plan.  I know what I plan on stuffing with and what not but I had a few things I was wondering.  What is the normal finishing IT that you guys try to get the Fatty to?

Like what everyone has been saying, 160-165

And as a ballpark estimate, how long do they normally take to finish(I know its "not done til its done" hence my first question haha)?

Strictly ballpark...3 hours has been my experience when smoking at around 225

I plan on doing just the small 1lb chub stuffed with a cajun jambalaya and pepperjack cheese for my first try. 

Good plan!  I look forward to the pics!

Also any tips would be greatly appreciated as I have found a plethora of info from this forum already, but as you all know, you can never have too much inf

Are you doing a bacon weave?  I like this tutorial:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/87072/bacon-weave-tutorial

Thanks!!

Luke

Reactions: m i z-b b q
The only thing I do in addition to the above is add a drip pan under the fattie so I have less clean up 

Thanks everyone!!! You guys have been super helpful! I will be sure to post some good Q-View when I get her rolling!!

Luke

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky