Shwenker disc

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Been wanting to see if my disc would work with my tripod. Having only two handles I wasn’t sure it would hang without tipping. Hooked up its fine so I won’t have to weld on two more handles. Now it can
Swing over the fire shwenker style!
have been wanting to hang it over our Solostove Bonfire as a heat deflector and for cooking over the fire .

9DE2D311-E9F2-4E1D-9BEF-C4F76C9CC889.jpeg

A7953778-1D98-4B87-8F70-AB1ECBA8F8B9.jpeg

That’s pretty cool Case, but if the wind is blowing & that thing is swinging with a load of hot oil in it, it seems it could be a bit dangerous. Although if you are just using it like a wok, then I think it would be awesome! The horseshoes really make it something special!! I hope you have some long gloves, cause stirring something over an open fire is going to be a challenge! I need welding gloves just to flip a couple of steaks on my Santa Maria setup.
Al

That’s pretty cool Case, but if the wind is blowing & that thing is swinging with a load of hot oil in it, it seems it could be a bit dangerous. Although if you are just using it like a wok, then I think it would be awesome!
Al
More than likely won’t have a load of oil but maybe. It would take a hurricane to get it swinging. The disc weighs 50 pounds!
Probably cook steaks, chops and smash burgers on it the most over the fire.

More than likely won’t have a load of oil but maybe. It would take a hurricane to get it swinging. The disc weighs 50 pounds!
Probably cook steaks, chops and smash burgers on it the most over the fire.
Smokin' Al might be on to something? There is a phenomenon called the natural resonance of a pendulum, where extremely small, but repeated, inputs can lead to huge outputs.
So just sayin'...IF it were to swing in the wind, the 4 chains are not evenly spaced around the disc, so it's a whole lot more likely to swing in one plane than the perpendicular plane. So it wouldn't hurt if you noted the wind direction before your cook and orient it appropriately.

But it looks great!! Anything with steel, pipe, chain, and winches is always a winner in my book. And with a couple horseshoes for good luck, you've got Magic.

Reactions: JLeonard
Smokin' Al might be on to something? There is a phenomenon called the natural resonance of a pendulum, where extremely small, but repeated, inputs can lead to huge outputs.
So just sayin'...IF it were to swing in the wind, the 4 chains are not evenly spaced around the disc, so it's a whole lot more likely to swing in one plane than the perpendicular plane. So it wouldn't hurt if you noted the wind direction before your cook and orient it appropriately.

But it looks great!! Anything with steel, pipe, chain, and winches is always a winner in my book. And with a couple horseshoes for good luck, you've got Magic.
I’ve had it set up in 35mph winds and it doesn’t move. If you push it it will but then it just goes back to where it was after a few swings and stops.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky