Shrimpy Pasta Skillet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
As it was her birthday eve, my presented me with a new 10" Lodge cast iron skillet yesterday then said, "now you can cook me something". Inspired by my good friend
tx smoker tx smoker , I set about fridge, freezer, and pantry acquiring the needed ingredients and got to cooking. First up was getting some large elbow pasta and medium sized shrimp done out on the patio stove, still another 112º day here.
DSCN2004.JPG

Once that was done and cooled down it was time to begin the assembly line. I sprayed the skillet with some Pam then covered the bottom with Alfredo sauce and the pasta
DSCN2009.JPG

Next up was a layer of the cooked shrimp
DSCN2010.JPG

Then it was time to grate up some of that hippie cheese with merlot wine in it, really fragrant
DSCN2011.JPG

Covered the shrimp with a thick layer of the remaining Alfredo sauce
DSCN2012.JPG

Then topped it all off with the grated cheese
DSCN2013.JPG

I took a little break to suck down some Evan, then fired up a chimney of coals and filled the Vortex pushed back to one side of the kettle, skillet on the other
DSCN2014.JPG

After 15 minutes I gave the skillet a 180º turn for even heat, waited another 15 minutes and pulled the skillet off. Got the skillet inside to the kitchen, it looked pretty darned good and smelled even better
DSCN2016.JPG

Plated up with a little Caesar salad and a glass of cab.
DSCN2017.JPG

This dish was voted a resounding success by the pickiest eater on the planet, she's decided the leftovers will be just fine for her birthday dinner. Whatever that cheese with the wine in it is, I'm getting more at Sam's Club, makes a huge difference over mozzarella. So that's my story for the day, thanks for lookin' in, stay safe! RAY

Looks great. did you leave the bottom vent wide open or close it at all? I recently got a vortex and trying to figure out the temp. so far wide open seems to work with all the wind we have been getting.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Ray that's a great looking meal .
I have no doubt the left overs will be fit for a birthday dinner . Throw on a steak to share . Twist it into some surf and turf .
Enjoy .

Looks great Ray! I’d tear that dish apart. If you get more of the merlot cheese can you tell us what kind? I love port wine cheese but am curious to what you used.

Also in that first picture, that sun is super bright shining off your pot. It wouldn’t surprise me if you needed a welders mask to cook dinner!

Whoa brother!! Looks like you treated that much deserving young lady to a spectacular pre-birthday dinner. Congrats on making her happy with a job extremely well done. That looks simply Delicious!! Big LIKE on this one sir

Robert

Looks great. did you leave the bottom vent wide open or close it at all? I recently got a vortex and trying to figure out the temp. so far wide open seems to work with all the wind we have been getting.

Thanks FB! Every time I've used the Vortex I went with top and bottom vents wide open. I imagine one could shut the vents down and it'd work pretty much like the SnS to where you could dial the temp down pretty low. RAY

Ray that's a great looking meal . I have no doubt the left overs will be fit for a birthday dinner . Throw on a steak to share . Twist it into some surf and turf . Enjoy .

Thanks Rich! There would be nothing to share, Jan's never in her life eaten a steak, lamb chop, or a piece of bacon; chicken, fish, and burgers are OK. She doesn't like honey or strawberry jam either, she ain't always what you'd consider easy to feed, tho she's a food critic! RAY

Looks great Ray! I’d tear that dish apart. If you get more of the merlot cheese can you tell us what kind? I love port wine cheese but am curious to what you used. Also in that first picture, that sun is super bright shining off your pot. It wouldn’t surprise me if you needed a welders mask to cook dinner!

Thanks Joe! AZ John has the cheese pictured down below this from Sam's Club. The stuff has a really nice wine fragrance that's enhanced during the cook, browns up to a nice color. The reflection off the pool just seems to show up on camera, not a bother when I'm out there, tho I do incorporate the welders gloves I have for fiddling with my offset. Thanks for the Like Joe, much appreciated. RAY

Nice I could sure do away with a plate of that. Warren

Thank you Warren, and thanks for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Whoa brother!! Looks like you treated that much deserving young lady to a spectacular pre-birthday dinner. Congrats on making her happy with a job extremely well done. That looks simply Delicious!! Big LIKE on this one sir Robert

Thanks Robert, you were my inspiration for this cook! During the build I kept asking myself, 'what would Robert lay on next?". Practice makes perfect, I feel I'm getting a little better at these CI cooks as I go along. Thanks for the Like my friend, much appreciated. RAY

Damn Ray! That is awesome man. The color you get on top of that hippie cheese is perfect need to get some to try out. Big LIKE man

Thank you John! I figured that cheese would go well with shrimp, fish, chicken, and beef. Pork would be kind of iffy I think, not sure. Thanks for the like John, I do appreciate it. RAY

Dang Ray that is in fine lookin' meal for the brides birthday! Is this the cheese?

GREAT BIG LIKE! I wish Sue wasn't allergic to shellfish cause I love it. John

That is the stuff my friend, and thank you for posting it! I'm thinking once you get some you'll come up with a pretty darned creative cook. Thanks for the Like John, much appreciated. RAY

Reactions: xray

Thanks FB! Every time I've used the Vortex I went with top and bottom vents wide open. I imagine one could shut the vents down and it'd work pretty much like the SnS to where you could dial the temp down pretty low. RAY

Ray that's a great looking meal . I have no doubt the left overs will be fit for a birthday dinner . Throw on a steak to share . Twist it into some surf and turf . Enjoy .

Thanks Rich! There would be nothing to share, Jan's never in her life eaten a steak, lamb chop, or a piece of bacon; chicken, fish, and burgers are OK. She doesn't like honey or strawberry jam either, she ain't always what you'd consider easy to feed, tho she's a food critic! RAY

Looks great Ray! I’d tear that dish apart. If you get more of the merlot cheese can you tell us what kind? I love port wine cheese but am curious to what you used. Also in that first picture, that sun is super bright shining off your pot. It wouldn’t surprise me if you needed a welders mask to cook dinner!

Thanks Joe! AZ John has the cheese pictured down below this from Sam's Club. The stuff has a really nice wine fragrance that's enhanced during the cook, browns up to a nice color. The reflection off the pool just seems to show up on camera, not a bother when I'm out there, tho I do incorporate the welders gloves I have for fiddling with my offset. Thanks for the Like Joe, much appreciated. RAY

Reactions: xray
Wow, that melted cheese just looks awesome! Another great looking meal Ray! I think I could get foundered on that. And happy birthday to the mrs.

Ryan

Jan's never in her life eaten a steak
You know , as soon as I hit the reply button I had that thought . He made shrimp because she doesn't like steak .
Happy you posted this . Reminded me I had some cheese I bought a couple weeks ago . Has chardonnay in it .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky