Shrimp & Scallop Mac and Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
I've been wanting to make lobster mac & cheese, but the price of lobster, like everything else, is through the roof. So I knew I had some frozen local shrimp and while digging a quart out of my freezer, I found about a pound of scallops. Now we're talking, I can make this work...

So I peeled the shrimp and cut most of them in half as well as the scallops. Chopped up half a Vidalia onion and a couple cloves of garlic...
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg

Shrimp and scallops were dusted with J.O.'s #1 and are sauted in a couple of TBSP of unsalted butter for just a couple of minutes until the shrimp start to turn a little pink then removed from the heat...
thumbnail (3).jpg
thumbnail (4).jpg

Next I sauted the onions and garlic in about 6 TBSP of the butter for a couple of minutes until they start to get soft, maybe 3 minutes. I added about a half cup of AP flour to the pan and stirred almost constantly for maybe another couple of minutes. Then I added in about 4 cups of half & half stirring constantly and bringing it up to a light simmer. Stirred constantly until it started to get thick and smooth. Then I added some pepper and Old Bay to the mix along with a teaspoon of nutmeg. I removed it from the heat and stirred in about a cup of parmesan, 1 1/2 cups of Gruyere, and a cup of sharp cheddar until all is melted and smooth. Next I stirred in the shrimp and scallops...
thumbnail (5).jpg
thumbnail (6).jpg

I had already partially cooked a pound of elbows and I mixed everything together and into a small aluminum pan. I melted a couple TBSP of the butter and mixed it with about a cup of plain Panko bread crumbs which I had seasoned with some salt & pepper and Italian seasoning. That was spread on top...
thumbnail (7).jpg

Now it's ready for the oven, but what fun would that be?? So I fired up a Weber with some lump and a split of white oak. I set it up for indirect heat and now it's time to cook...
thumbnail (8).jpg
thumbnail (14).jpg

The grill was running about 375℉ or so and I cooked it until it got bubbly around the edges and got some color. For a garnish, I had a few shrimp leftover so I dusted them with a little J.O.'s #2 and sauted them in butter until pink...
thumbnail (10).jpg

I made a salad with Romaine, spinach, sliced radishes, chopped up tomatoes, cucumbers, and carrot sticks. Come and get it...
thumbnail (11).jpg

The taste was rich and creamy, a little smoky, and the taste of the shrimp and scallops really came through...

I've been wanting to make lobster mac & cheese, but the price of lobster, like everything else, is through the roof. So I knew I had some frozen local shrimp and while digging a quart out of my freezer, I found about a pound of scallops. Now we're talking, I can make this work...

So I peeled the shrimp and cut most of them in half as well as the scallops. Chopped up half a Vidalia onion and a couple cloves of garlic...
View attachment 508897 View attachment 508898 View attachment 508899

Shrimp and scallops were dusted with J.O.'s #1 and are sauted in a couple of TBSP of unsalted butter for just a couple of minutes until the shrimp start to turn a little pink then removed from the heat...
View attachment 508912 View attachment 508913

Next I sauted the onions and garlic in about 6 TBSP of the butter for a couple of minutes until they start to get soft, maybe 3 minutes. I added about a half cup of AP flour to the pan and stirred almost constantly for maybe another couple of minutes. Then I added in about 4 cups of half & half stirring constantly and bringing it up to a light simmer. Stirred constantly until it started to get thick and smooth. Then I added some pepper and Old Bay to the mix along with a teaspoon of nutmeg. I removed it from the heat and stirred in about a cup of parmesan, 1 1/2 cups of Gruyere, and a cup of sharp cheddar until all is melted and smooth. Next I stirred in the shrimp and scallops...
View attachment 508903 View attachment 508904

I had already partially cooked a pound of elbows and I mixed everything together and into a small aluminum pan. I melted a couple TBSP of the butter and mixed it with about a cup of plain Panko bread crumbs which I had seasoned with some salt & pepper and Italian seasoning. That was spread on top...
View attachment 508906

Now it's ready for the oven, but what fun would that be?? So I fired up a Weber with some lump and a split of white oak. I set it up for indirect heat and now it's time to cook...
View attachment 508907 View attachment 508908

The grill was running about 375℉ or so and I cooked it until it got bubbly around the edges and got some color. For a garnish, I had a few shrimp leftover so I dusted them with a little J.O.'s #2 and sauted them in butter until pink...
View attachment 508910

I made a salad with Romaine, spinach, sliced radishes, chopped up tomatoes, cucumbers, and carrot sticks. Come and get it...
View attachment 508911

The taste was rich and creamy, a little smoky, and the taste of the shrimp and scallops really came through...
Wow! A great creation with fire and smoke!!! Good job😎🇺🇸😎

Me likes, me likes. I've always wondered if the cheese would overwhelm the seafood flavors. Now I know. Great job GS. BTW lobster is on sale for 9.99/lb here for 1.25/lbers. to 1.50/lbers.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Mama Mia! Righteous
Thank you so much, flatbroke.
That’s flavor town right there. Nicely done.
Thank you, Edge
Excellent!
Thank you, hog.
Hell yeah!!
Charlie, thank you..
Wow. Great idea.
Thank you, daspy, it wasn't completely my idea, I just adapted what I had.
Really sounds and looks great!
It was really good, Jim. Probably one of the best tasting things I've made in quite some time. It really appealed to my taste buds. Thank you...
Wow! A great creation with fire and smoke!!! Good job😎🇺🇸😎
Thank you, Recon...

Amazing!! That looks and sounds incredible. Excellent job right there.

Robert
Thank you, Robert. The taste was really good. at least to me and my taste buds. Probably the best thing I've made in a long time. I was pleasantly surprised at how all the different flavors came out...

Me likes, me likes. I've always wondered if the cheese would overwhelm the seafood flavors. Now I know. Great job GS. BTW lobster is on sale for 9.99/lb here for 1.25/lbers. to 1.50/lbers.

Point for sure
Chris
Chris, whole lobster isn't readily available here, only frozen tails and they're usually warm water lobster tails. Thank you for your compliments.

One thing of note if I do it again, I'd boil the shrimp shells down and make a stock to add in, not that it needed anything extra, but just to make use of the shells...

That looks excellent! Delicious is more like it. Like said above very creative. Great work. Now I'm craving this.

That looks excellent! Delicious is more like it. Like said above very creative. Great work. Now I'm craving this.
Thank you, it was really just a matter of using what I had on hand. If you get the chance, try it...
Looks Mighty Tasty from here, GS !!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear
Thank you, Bear...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky