Shrimp boil question?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

worktogthr

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 3, 2013
Massapequa, NY (Long Island)
Well today I made a shrimp boil with some
Andouille I made because a fine friend supplied me with some andouille seasoning. The shrimp boil was great. Easy and delicious and only messed one pot. So here's my questions...

Why do most shrimp boil recipes call for shell on shrimp? Most of them only have the shrimp added in the last 3-5 minutes so it doesn't seem like the shells can impart much flavor but i may be wrong. Just curious! Looking forward to hearing all of your answers.

Thanks,

Chris

Reactions: mike5051
Most likely there cheaper. I was hoping you were looking for help eating!:biggrin:

There are a few reasons. One, the shells actually do impart flavor to the broth even in 3-4 minutes. And two, as Rabbithutch said, shell on shrimp cook more evenly and aren't as prone to overcooking. Also the shells offer a barrier between the water and the meat, avoiding soggy watered down shrimp.

There are a few reasons. One, the shells actually do impart flavor to the broth even in 3-4 minutes. And two, as Rabbithutch said, shell on shrimp cook more evenly and aren't as prone to overcooking. Also the shells offer a barrier between the water and the meat, avoiding soggy watered down shrimp.

Exactly! Now if I could only get shrimp with the heads on... All we can get are the bodies and tails!

Nice boil!  
points1.png

I've only boiled shrimp with the heads and shell on.  It would be very easy to overcook without the shells.  I'm doing some tomorrow!

Mike

Down here we would never boil prawns ( shrimp) or anything Similiar without the head on.
We want to see the head because if they aren't fresh you see it in the head,it will be discoloured .
If I am cooking some style of dishes I will fry the heads seperate with bits & a solid slug of white wine or vermouth to make a stock to add back into things like risotto or paella or gumbo.

5 lbs head on shrimp ready to boil.

Boiled for 3 minutes, added ice in a bag to stop the cooking, and cold soaked for 15 minutes in the seasoned water.  Shrimp cook really fast, and become difficult to peel if overcooked.  I let them cold soak up the seasoning until they are how I want them without having to worry about overcooking them.  

Mike

Reactions: rabbithutch
^^^
Mike, you look like an expert at boiling shrimp. That Qview is making me hungry!

A question, if you don't mind . . .

I used to overcook shrimp pretty badly. I've taken to putting them in cold water and bringing them up to a boil. I take them off when the first 2 or 4 start floating, drain the water and place them in ice. This seems to work for me, but I wondered if you have a better rule of thumb to avoid overcooking them? Also, is bringing them up to a boil better or worse than putting them in boiling water?

TIA

:grilling_smilie:

That sounds like a good method rabbithutch.  I've overcooked my share as well, and hard to peel shrimp drive me crazy!  I think the key step is stopping the cooking process as soon as they start to float.  I get my water boiling before I add the shrimp, but if your method works, go for it!  Happy boiling!

Mike

I posted this thread and never got back to it. Sorry! My life got crazy. I just wanted to thank everyone who shares their answers with me. That's why I love this site. Always learning!

Legally, here in FL, a bucket is a five gallon bucket.  I rarely catch that much.  I use a little 3 gallon bucket.  If that gets over half way full, then I'm happy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky