• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Shrimp boil question?

worktogthr

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 3, 2013
Well today I made a shrimp boil with some
Andouille I made because a fine friend supplied me with some andouille seasoning. The shrimp boil was great. Easy and delicious and only messed one pot. So here's my questions...

Why do most shrimp boil recipes call for shell on shrimp? Most of them only have the shrimp added in the last 3-5 minutes so it doesn't seem like the shells can impart much flavor but i may be wrong. Just curious! Looking forward to hearing all of your answers.

Thanks,

Chris

b-one

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 31, 2014
Most likely there cheaper. I was hoping you were looking for help eating!:biggrin:

rabbithutch

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 15, 2011
IME shrimp are a lot easier to peel after they are cooked. Also, the shell will keep them from getting that awful rubber texture because they won't cook as fast.

jaxrmrjmr

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 21, 2013
My wife is a shell on person.  I am a shell off person.  I haven't figured her out yet, so I'm no help.

mdboatbum

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 22, 2011
There are a few reasons. One, the shells actually do impart flavor to the broth even in 3-4 minutes. And two, as Rabbithutch said, shell on shrimp cook more evenly and aren't as prone to overcooking. Also the shells offer a barrier between the water and the meat, avoiding soggy watered down shrimp.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
There are a few reasons. One, the shells actually do impart flavor to the broth even in 3-4 minutes. And two, as Rabbithutch said, shell on shrimp cook more evenly and aren't as prone to overcooking. Also the shells offer a barrier between the water and the meat, avoiding soggy watered down shrimp.
Exactly! Now if I could only get shrimp with the heads on... All we can get are the bodies and tails!

mike5051

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 7, 2015
Nice boil!  

I've only boiled shrimp with the heads and shell on.  It would be very easy to overcook without the shells.  I'm doing some tomorrow!

Mike

moikel

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2011
Down here we would never boil prawns ( shrimp) or anything Similiar without the head on.
We want to see the head because if they aren't fresh you see it in the head,it will be discoloured .
If I am cooking some style of dishes I will fry the heads seperate with bits & a solid slug of white wine or vermouth to make a stock to add back into things like risotto or paella or gumbo.

mike5051

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 7, 2015

5 lbs head on shrimp ready to boil.

Boiled for 3 minutes, added ice in a bag to stop the cooking, and cold soaked for 15 minutes in the seasoned water.  Shrimp cook really fast, and become difficult to peel if overcooked.  I let them cold soak up the seasoning until they are how I want them without having to worry about overcooking them.  

Mike

rabbithutch

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 15, 2011
^^^
Mike, you look like an expert at boiling shrimp. That Qview is making me hungry!

A question, if you don't mind . . .

I used to overcook shrimp pretty badly. I've taken to putting them in cold water and bringing them up to a boil. I take them off when the first 2 or 4 start floating, drain the water and place them in ice. This seems to work for me, but I wondered if you have a better rule of thumb to avoid overcooking them? Also, is bringing them up to a boil better or worse than putting them in boiling water?

TIA

:grilling_smilie:

mike5051

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 7, 2015
That sounds like a good method rabbithutch.  I've overcooked my share as well, and hard to peel shrimp drive me crazy!  I think the key step is stopping the cooking process as soon as they start to float.  I get my water boiling before I add the shrimp, but if your method works, go for it!  Happy boiling!

Mike

worktogthr

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 3, 2013
I posted this thread and never got back to it. Sorry! My life got crazy. I just wanted to thank everyone who shares their answers with me. That's why I love this site. Always learning!

jaxrmrjmr

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 21, 2013
We are going shrimping this coming up Sat and Sun nights.  We usually end up with a bucket or so if it's good.

mike5051

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 7, 2015

We are going shrimping this coming up Sat and Sun nights.  We usually end up with a bucket or so if it's good.
I'm probably doing some this weekend also.  How much is a bucket?

Mike

jaxrmrjmr

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 21, 2013
Legally, here in FL, a bucket is a five gallon bucket.  I rarely catch that much.  I use a little 3 gallon bucket.  If that gets over half way full, then I'm happy.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.