Shrimp and Grit cakes.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
Ever since I made these Shrimp and Grits and fried up grit cakes with the leftovers, I've been wanting to fuse the two. They came out delicious but I felt the extra step of making the grits, cooling them, cutting and then frying them up was too much effort for what it was.

I'd prefer to just make the grits as is and enjoy the leftovers by themselves. Since I made it, I figured I may as well show it. But next time, I won't mess with tradition again!

Grits were cooked with chicken stock. When finished, I grated a 1/2lb. block of smoked extra sharp cheddar, heavy cream and butter.
IMG_4994.jpg

All melted and combined.
IMG_4995.jpg

After having a bit for breakfast (I made these the morning of), the rest of the grits where spread out on a cookie sheet and refrigerated.
IMG_4996.jpg

When it was time to fry the grit cakes. I used a plastic cup and cut out 6 circles. They were lightly dredged in flour and black pepper. Used a pound of shrimp and added blackening seasoning.
IMG_5007.jpg

Everything went together so quickly that I didn't get pics of the grit cakes being made. Shrimp is finished.
IMG_5009.jpg

Dinner is served.
IMG_5010.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Joe

Good looking shreemps, Joe. Never tried fried grit cakes, but I can imagine where the grits would be better out the pan. Gotta be dry and grainy fried, I would think.

Bet the shrimps would be good on an English muffin.

Good looking shreemps, Joe. Never tried fried grit cakes, but I can imagine where the grits would be better out the pan. Gotta be dry and grainy fried, I would think.

Bet the shrimps would be good on an English muffin.

Actually Jack, it’s quite the opposite. The grits are soft, cheesy with a crispy exterior. They’re just awesome on their own, that why I wanted to make the shrimp this way.

But it was just too much effort for a minimal gain. I’d rather make the grits, eat dinner and wake up to fry the cake for breakfast.

I’m sure the load of cheese, butter and cream helps! Lol.

Thank you again.

Looks good.

Thank you!

Looks fantastic Joe. You have some magazine style plating there too. Very nice.

Thanks Jeff, that’s quite a compliment from you considering how well your plates are...I have a ways to go before I can run with the big boys!

Ever since I made these Shrimp and Grits and fried up grit cakes with the leftovers, I've been wanting to fuse the two. They came out delicious but I felt the extra step of making the grits, cooling them, cutting and then frying them up was too much effort for what it was.

I'd prefer to just make the grits as is and enjoy the leftovers by themselves. Since I made it, I figured I may as well show it. But next time, I won't mess with tradition again!

Grits were cooked with chicken stock. When finished, I grated a 1/2lb. block of smoked extra sharp cheddar, heavy cream and butter.
View attachment 453829

All melted and combined.
View attachment 453828

After having a bit for breakfast (I made these the morning of), the rest of the grits where spread out on a cookie sheet and refrigerated.
View attachment 453827

When it was time to fry the grit cakes. I used a plastic cup and cut out 6 circles. They were lightly dredged in flour and black pepper. Used a pound of shrimp and added blackening seasoning.
View attachment 453826

Everything went together so quickly that I didn't get pics of the grit cakes being made. Shrimp is finished.
View attachment 453825

Dinner is served.
View attachment 453824

Thanks for looking,

Joe
Good looking and great idea!

- Jason

Joe,

That is a plate I'd eat for sure.
Kind of reminds of fried corn mush, but that hominy has gotta be over the top.
Well done, Sir!

Stuart

Joe you outdid yourself on that one. I was seconds away from shrimp and grits tonight but changed direction. I've had grit cakes before but never shrimp and grits cakes. You nailed it and put up a delicious looking meal

Nice and I agree...Grit Cakes or Polenta Cakes are fine for Leftovers, but Fresh Creamy Grits are way better...JJ

Heck of a great idea Joe!
Only problem is we never have any leftover grits!
I eat grits 7 days a week for breakfast. Kinda boring, I know, but I just love grits with a couple of sunny side eggs on top.
And shrimp & grits for dinner would just make my day!!
Al

Joe, that looks absolutely astonishing my friend!! Excellent looking food and a supreme presentation. Looks like you and jcam222 jcam222 have been swapping presentation notes :emoji_laughing:

LIKE!!
Robert

• Haha
Reactions: jcam222
Good looking and great idea!

- Jason

Thank you Jason!

Joe,

That is a plate I'd eat for sure.
Kind of reminds of fried corn mush, but that hominy has gotta be over the top.
Well done, Sir!

Stuart

Thank you Stuart!

Joe you outdid yourself on that one. I was seconds away from shrimp and grits tonight but changed direction. I've had grit cakes before but never shrimp and grits cakes. You nailed it and put up a delicious looking meal

Thank you Jake. You must have had a pretty good meal option after audibling from shrimp and grits at the last second. What did you end up making?

Nice and I agree...Grit Cakes or Polenta Cakes are fine for Leftovers, but Fresh Creamy Grits are way better...JJ

Thanks JJ, I fully agree too but I just had to try it.

Heck of a great idea Joe!
Only problem is we never have any leftover grits!
I eat grits 7 days a week for breakfast. Kinda boring, I know, but I just love grits with a couple of sunny side eggs on top.
And shrimp & grits for dinner would just make my day!!
Al

Thank you Al! I get on my kicks where I would eat grits almost everyday for a few weeks and then just stop for awhile.

Nice looking idea like the looks of the shrimp. No left over grits here guess I need to make a larger batch.

Warren

Thank you Warren. I made on cup of grits to one quart of stock. I don't think I could finish these if I tried, especially with all the cheese, butter and cream added.

Now i could eat that all day! looking good.

Thank you JL!

Joe, that looks absolutely astonishing my friend!! Excellent looking food and a supreme presentation. Looks like you and jcam222 jcam222 have been swapping presentation notes :emoji_laughing:

LIKE!!
Robert

Thank you Robert, I'm just trying to emulate the master.

Actually Jack, it’s quite the opposite. The grits are soft, cheesy with a crispy exterior. They’re just awesome on their own, that why I wanted to make the shrimp this way.

But it was just too much effort for a minimal gain. I’d rather make the grits, eat dinner and wake up to fry the cake for breakfast.

I’m sure the load of cheese, butter and cream helps! Lol.

Thank you again.

Thanks for the clarification Joe. I'll try frying leftover grits. Hopefully they'll come out as good as yours. :emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: xray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky