Should Weber have built a gravity feed ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
Instead of the SmokeFire ?

Right now, there's a large jump from a MB or Chargriller to patio gravity feeds like Assassin 17 or Southern Q Limo Jr. Almost a $2,000 price diff. I think Weber could've filled the void in between.

And I'd guess they'd done a better job with it than they did with the SmokeFire.

I'm all for more cookers to chose from, may the best cooker win.
Having said that, Weber is not afraid to charge a lot for what seems like what should be a medium price kettle rig.

Adjusted for inflation, Weber Kettles and WSM's are about the same price they've always been.

A WSM in 1980 sold for $120 . Inflation adjusted it would cost $392 today, and sells for $325.

I don't have historical sales prices for Kettles, just experience of owning one since 1989. And I would guess they're no diff than the WSM.

There is definitely a big jump to the professional / competition builds. Once you are in that range there are some excellent charcoal cabinets that are not gravity that work just as well and are more readily available used. Humphreys and Backwoods are just two that done to mind. You are likely on to something though. With the popularity of the gravity feed with essentially a built in guru a mid range option would likely be a nice seller.

Been keeping my eye on the Smokefire for the past a couple of months.I started a thread asking about it last month.Some good info and links within that thread.

Reactions: chopsaw
Considering it earned the name Weber GreaseFire, I think they'd have run into exactly the same problem with a gravity fed cooker. And they'd probably want $2000 for it to boot. The SmokeFire should have been $1200. It ain't a MAK or a Cookshack. Weber hasn't been making very good decisions these past few years in my opinion. Even the changes they've made to classic products have been somewhat questionable.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky