Gravity feed smokers , why cook in pans ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey Red, would you highly recommend a 4th rack for the Limo Jr? mine is being built, and questioning myself why I have not added a 4th rack. Thanks1

I wish I'd gotten the runners for a fourth and even a fifth rack on my Assassin 17.

The very bottom rack now, is not usable due to radiant heat. Here's the biscuit test for that rack .

Bottom rack.jpg
Bottom.jpg

Hey Red, would you highly recommend a 4th rack for the Limo Jr? mine is being built, and questioning myself why I have not added a 4th rack. Thanks1

Absolutely!

To me, it was a no-brainer. I think it cost me an extra $50 to add the 4th rack - and who wouldn't say yes to increasing the capacity of their pit by 25% for only 50 bucks?

The only variable to consider, IMO, is how the extra rack affects clearance between racks. With 4 instead of 3, obviously the racks are a little closer together, which decreases clearance a bit. When I cook something big, like a very large pork butt or a whole chicken or turkey, I just remove a rack to get the extra clearance I need. If I was filling up the pit with butts or chickens, I might have clearance problems...but I hardly ever have a full load in my smoker, so no worries there for me.

Red

I've come to use my bottom rack only for a large drip pan, since I rarely cook enough meat to need all 4 racks. This keeps the grease from dripping into the bottom of the cooker, and makes cleanup that much easier.

Red

Same here. I really would like to add just the runners for different rack locations. I get by OK with two cooking grates.

I still don't understand why the front of grates run hotter than the back. There's lots about this smoker I've yet to learn . I've been cautious about using too large a hotel pan on the bottom rack due to this uneven heating.

Here's the biscuit test on middle rack.

Middle Rack.jpg
Middle.jpg

Same here. I really would like to add just the runners for different rack locations. I get by OK with two cooking grates.

I still don't understand why the front of grates run hotter than the back. There's lots about this smoker I've yet to learn . I've been cautious about using too large a hotel pan on the bottom rack due to this uneven heating.

Here's the biscuit test on middle rack.

View attachment 690556View attachment 690557

If I were a little closer, I'd be happy to weld in extra rack runners for you. I don't actually get to OKC too often - I'm an hour NE of Tulsa...but next time I do, I'd be willing to throw my welder in...

Red

If I were a little closer, I'd be happy to weld in extra rack runners for you. I don't actually get to OKC too often - I'm an hour NE of Tulsa...but next time I do, I'd be willing to throw my welder in...

Red

I appreciate that offer !

Absolutely!

To me, it was a no-brainer. I think it cost me an extra $50 to add the 4th rack - and who wouldn't say yes to increasing the capacity of their pit by 25% for only 50 bucks?

The only variable to consider, IMO, is how the extra rack affects clearance between racks. With 4 instead of 3, obviously the racks are a little closer together, which decreases clearance a bit. When I cook something big, like a very large pork butt or a whole chicken or turkey, I just remove a rack to get the extra clearance I need. If I was filling up the pit with butts or chickens, I might have clearance problems...but I hardly ever have a full load in my smoker, so no worries there for me.

Red
makes perfect sense, thanks for answering,

I've noticed on the TV BBQ comp shows, that many comp people use gravity feeds, especially in Georgia where most are made. And they're always putting the meats in pans.

Listening to Malcolm Reed's latest podcast on YT, he says there's two reasons. One to keep the cooker clean and the other is an off flavor from drippings scorching on the deflector plate. The latter is puzzling because I thought that was something reverse flow stick burner folks liked ???

I like how my MB560 smokes. I'd also like to upgrade, even thinking about one of these . But I've got to wonder about cooking meats in pans, seems to me ya get very little air flow/convection.

I can also see that cleaning the bottom of a GF could turn into a real job.

Also, just because a smoker is popular with competitors doesn't mean its good for the back yard. They're wanting an oven that fits in KCBS rules as a smoker. They working with time constraints and don't want to deal with babysitting a smoker. They're gonna put flavor on their meats with marinades, injections, rubs, sauces , and who knows what else.

Here's the part of Malcolm's podcast where he talks GF's

That Southern Q limo with a BBQ guru would be the lifetime version of the MB. Would be super nice.

Reactions: 912smoker
That Southern Q limo with a BBQ guru would be the lifetime version of the MB. Would be super nice.

Agreed! My Limo Jr. will probably be my last smoker - unless I get a wild hair and decide to build something myself. :emoji_wink: I really like it, and can't think of many commercial smokers out there I'd trade it for...

Red

And BTW...The fan I use on my Limo Jr. is the BBQ Guru DigiQ DX3. Don't have any direct experience with the Bellows setup...it's a little more pricey than my Guru system - but I'm sure they all work about the same.

Red
Red, appreciate your insights on the Limo JR. Been considering one for a while now. What's the highest temp you've had yours up to? I've read reviews about other gravity feds talk about getting them hot enough to sear a steak but haven't actually seen a Limo JR owner say they can.

Red, appreciate your insights on the Limo JR. Been considering one for a while now. What's the highest temp you've had yours up to? I've read reviews about other gravity feds talk about getting them hot enough to sear a steak but haven't actually seen a Limo JR owner say they can.

Hey Kenny!
I believe the highest temps I’ve run in my Limo Jr were in the 310-320* range...and that's not very often. My sweet spot is around 275*. It has never occurred to me to try searing in it - I always use a Webber Kettle for that. But I suspect it would be pretty hard to get any traditional gravity fed cabinet smoker to temps that high.

I wonder if the reviews of other gravity feds you mention are talking about those new hybrid gravity feed grills, like the Masterbuilt Gravity Series. While I don't know a ton about them, I do know that they are not cabinet smokers like my Limo Jr, but more closely resemble a pellet grill. I've heard it said that those cookers are capable of both smoking and searing. Maybe someone who uses one of those can chime in and provide input.

Sorry I'm not more help...but if you have other Limo Jr - specific questions, I'll be happy to try to answer.

Red

Reactions: KennyJ
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky