Gravity feed smokers , why cook in pans ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
smokin' Olddie's noontime tuesday post didn't look like too much draw/draft to me. If you think you're sucking ash onto your meat, you can shorten it. (Or don't use Kingsford. Sorry couldn't resist) But for the taller exhaust pipe to benefit you, you have to get the fire going and the heat gradients established. Hard to beat an electric fan on the input for that; if no electricity try a fireplace bellows.

Another possible problem with increasing the air flow through the cooker, is pulling flames into the bottom of the cook chamber where grease has accumulated. That has grease fire written all over it.

Another possible problem with increasing the air flow through the cooker, is pulling flames into the bottom of the cook chamber where grease has accumulated. That has grease fire written all over it.

If you attach some kind of diverter plate at the opening to the FB, I doubt this would be an issue. You mentioned installing a plate angled at roughly 45*. That's what my Limo Jr. has, and I've never once seen flames in the cook chamber. Not only does that plate serve to divert heat, it also diverts dripping grease toward the left side of the chamber...away from the FB opening.

And I also suspect that ash wouldn't be an issue either. I use a forced air temp controller on my rig, and have never had any ash enter the CC. YMMV...

Red

And BTW...The fan I use on my Limo Jr. is the BBQ Guru DigiQ DX3. Don't have any direct experience with the Bellows setup...it's a little more pricey than my Guru system - but I'm sure they all work about the same.

Red

So an ATC like a Thermoworks Billows, would accomplish the same as extending the stack ?
Yup. And avoids the trouble in establishing the temperature gradients that are required for the longer stack to do the job. But of course an ATC with fan needs electricity and anything moving (like a fan) has a limited lifetime.
But that hasn't stopped pellet grills from being big sellers.

Reactions: seenred
Yup. And avoids the trouble in establishing the temperature gradients that are required for the longer stack to do the job. But of course an ATC with fan needs electricity and anything moving (like a fan) has a limited lifetime.
But that hasn't stopped pellet grills from being big sellers.
I have the Thermoworks battery for the Bellows; it will power the fan and the signals thermometer for a loooong time. I've ran them on the battery for over 18 hours on my Limo Jr.

I have the Thermoworks battery for the Bellows; it will power the fan and the signals thermometer for a loooong time. I've ran them on the battery for over 18 hours on my Limo Jr.

Huh…wonder if it’ll power other devices, or if it only works with the Thermoworks Billows? It’d be pretty nice to have battery backup to run my Guru system…for just in case I lost power in the middle of a smoke. Doesn’t happen often, but I lost power in the middle of a brisket cook once. Worked my tail off keeping temps up for several hours before the power finally came back on.

Red

Huh…wonder if it’ll power other devices, or if it only works with the Thermoworks Billows? It’d be pretty nice to have battery backup to run my Guru system…for just in case I lost power in the middle of a smoke. Doesn’t happen often, but I lost power in the middle of a brisket cook once. Worked my tail off keeping temps up for several hours before the power finally came back on.

Red
my understanding is that although they use standard USB-C style connectors, Thermoworks stuff uses 12 VDC instead of the standard 5 VDC so it depends on the voltage tolerance of your devices. I've seen posts where folks are running gurus off of car batteries but I didn't look to see what they had been the battery and the guru since I wasn't interested in trying it.

I have a guru CyberQ but haven't used it since I got the Bellows; the CyberQ is pretty painful compared to the Thermoworks stuff.

I suppose my propane grill is my backup in the unlikely event of a power outage on an electric cook. But if you do a lot of camping cooking, the battery becomes your only option to AC power. Problem with most systems is it's one more system to have to remember to keep charged. That's where power tool battery based AC backups look good since we tend to keep those batteries charged.

Got an email from Assassin, they're having a Memorial Day sale. If money were no object, I'd buy the Assassin 17. I think its the best design. But even with $250 off, its out of my price range.

Also, seems like there's a lot of sales on smokers/grills right now, Masterbuilt is $100 off at Home Depot, PK is running a sale.

This is one of our BIGGEST sales to date!​

Now through Friday, June 2nd, ALL of our Charcoal Grills & Gravity-Fed Smokers will be on sale!

Discounts are as followed:
36” & 48” Charcoal Grills = $150.00 off
72” Charcoal Grill = $200.00 off
#17 & #24 Gravity-Fed Smokers = $250.00 off
#28 & #32 Gravity-Fed Smokers = $300.00 off

Orders must be submitted and the required deposit must be made by end of day on Friday, June 2nd, to qualify for discount!​

Reactions: 912smoker
Well, I splurged and took Assassin up on their Memorial Day sale offer and bought an Assassin 17. Got an 8 week production time.

As seenred seenred says, " ya get what ya pay for " and " buy once, cry once " .

But no doubt, this will be my last smoker purchase ........ maybe another grill, but no more smokers. I should be set.

Well, I splurged and took Assassin up on their Memorial Day sale offer and bought an Assassin 17. Got an 8 week production time.

As seenred seenred says, " ya get what ya pay for " and " buy once, cry once " .

But no doubt, this will be my last smoker purchase ........ maybe another grill, but no more smokers. I should be set.

Congratulations Neighbor! I may have already said this, but I've always admired those Assassins...they look like excellent smokers! I'm sure you'll be very happy with it!

I'll be looking forward to seeing many cooks on your new Assassin! :emoji_thumbsup:

Worst challenge now is waiting the 8 weeks...

Red

Reactions: Smokin Okie
Congratulations Neighbor! I may have already said this, but I've always admired those Assassins...they look like excellent smokers! I'm sure you'll be very happy with it!

I'll be looking forward to seeing many cooks on your new Assassin! :emoji_thumbsup:

Worst challenge now is waiting the 8 weeks...

Red

Well, I blame it on Masterbuilt. If they'd never built the 560 and I'd not found it at WalMart for $250, I would not be here today :emoji_grinning:

Being a stickburner guy from the Aaron Franklin school of strong air flow, I'd never given gravity feeds a second thought. The MB560 impressed me with thin blue smoke and good air flow.

And in the end, it was the firebox/cook chamber exchange of the Assassin that sealed the deal. It looks to have stronger air flow than the Limo Jr and much stronger than the OCGF ( with the potential problems it has ) . I liked how the Assassin shot air straight into the cook chamber, pretty much the same as my MB560.

Also , I got a $600 shipping quote from Southern Q, Assassin was $500 and then knock the $250 off for the sales price, and the gap narrowed enough to go with Assassin.

What is the best location for a wire portal on a GF with the chute on the right side of the smoker ?

What is the best location for a wire portal on a GF with the chute on the right side of the smoker ?

On my Limo Jr the probe port is on the same side as the coal chute (also right)…which is probably the best place for it if you’re gonna run an ATC. IMO, having the air intake and the probe port on the same side makes managing your wires easier.

Red

Reactions: Smokin Okie
On my Limo Jr the probe port is on the same side as the coal chute (also right)…which is probably the best place for it if you’re gonna run an ATC. IMO, having the air intake and the probe port on the same side makes managing your wires easier.

Red

That's the conclusion I've come to. There is no better place.

I’m with you there! When I first started looking into GF pits, I really wanted a Stumps. But unless a person could find a used one in good shape for a good price, they’re just beyond what I could justify spending.

That’s when I learned about Southern Q. Now I bought this in 2019…so these are pre-pandemic costs. But I bought the new Limo Jr, with an added 4th cooking rack, an added travel latch, and a new BBQ Guru system…AND had it shipped from Georgia to Oklahoma, for less than $3K. The Stumps I was comparing it to starts at about $3900, before add ons and shipping. Don’t get me wrong - I still love those Stumps cookers. They’re sure nice…but IMHO, Southern Q offers the best value for the money of any of the insulated GF cabinet smokers.

Red
Hey Red, would you highly recommend a 4th rack for the Limo Jr? mine is being built, and questioning myself why I have not added a 4th rack. Thanks1

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky