• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Should i trim this up a little more?

mattyoc20

Meat Mopper
Joined Aug 11, 2013
I got just got the skin off the belly and was wondering if i should trim some more of the fat off?  Getting ready to go in the brine.  Its like christmas for me!!!!

Also, i never felt more manly than i do today

Should i cut this in half??

Should I put a cover over the bucket with the brine?

Thank you all for the help and i will keep you guys posted

dave17a

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 23, 2012
Hw big is the smoker. I cut my belly's in half to fit smoker. Different this year. Going crazy not smoking much. Building this cold smoker.

mattyoc20

Meat Mopper
Joined Aug 11, 2013
Also, i'm freaking my self out with this cure#1.  I made 4 gallons of pops curing brine (way to much but now i know).  I put about 4 heaping tablespoons and "a little more for good measure"  maybe a half tablespoon more.  Is that to much cure?  Is it to little?  I dont want to get anyone sick.  THanks for all the help

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Pops recipe is on the low end of the scale for cure.

1 tablespoon per gallon.

Your good.

Leave the rest of the fat on.

foamheart

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 4, 2013
While you have all that brine, throw in a couple a racks of spare ribs.  You'll thank me for suggesting it in two weeks.

mattyoc20

Meat Mopper
Joined Aug 11, 2013

While you have all that brine, throw in a couple a racks of spare ribs.  You'll thank me for suggesting it in two weeks
AHHHHH.....why didnt i think of that!!!!!! i only used enough brine to cover the belly and chucked the rest.   Rookie move

mdboatbum

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 22, 2011
Looks like a great start!! I think the spares don't need as much time to cure as the bacon will. If I remember correctly Bearcarver dry cured his with TQ for about 4 days. I'd think a week in Pop's brine would do the trick. It's a fairly weak solution to allow for a longer cure time for hams. Your "little extra" shouldn't cause any health concerns, as has already been pointed out. You might drop Pops a pm and ask him about the ribs.

**Edit

Here's the thread on Bearcarver's "Bacon on a stick". http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/108686/bacon-on-a-stick-step-by-step

Last edited:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.