Should i trim this up a little more?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mattyoc20

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 11, 2013
Dresher PA
I got just got the skin off the belly and was wondering if i should trim some more of the fat off?  Getting ready to go in the brine.  Its like christmas for me!!!!

Also, i never felt more manly than i do today

Should i cut this in half??

Should I put a cover over the bucket with the brine?

Thank you all for the help and i will keep you guys posted

439.gif
Hw big is the smoker. I cut my belly's in half to fit smoker. Different this year. Going crazy not smoking much. Building this cold smoker.

Also, i'm freaking my self out with this cure#1.  I made 4 gallons of pops curing brine (way to much but now i know).  I put about 4 heaping tablespoons and "a little more for good measure"  maybe a half tablespoon more.  Is that to much cure?  Is it to little?  I dont want to get anyone sick.  THanks for all the help

Pops recipe is on the low end of the scale for cure.

1 tablespoon per gallon.

Your good.

Leave the rest of the fat on.

While you have all that brine, throw in a couple a racks of spare ribs.  You'll thank me for suggesting it in two weeks
AHHHHH.....why didnt i think of that!!!!!! i only used enough brine to cover the belly and chucked the rest.   Rookie move

Looks like a great start!! I think the spares don't need as much time to cure as the bacon will. If I remember correctly Bearcarver dry cured his with TQ for about 4 days. I'd think a week in Pop's brine would do the trick. It's a fairly weak solution to allow for a longer cure time for hams. Your "little extra" shouldn't cause any health concerns, as has already been pointed out. You might drop Pops a pm and ask him about the ribs.

**Edit

Here's the thread on Bearcarver's "Bacon on a stick". http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/108686/bacon-on-a-stick-step-by-step

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky