Should I talk to the Home Depot manager ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
Got a project going in the back yard and I made three trips to Home Depot over Monday and Tuesday.

Monday morning, I got checked out by this fella and he missed a bottle of chain saw oil. I asked him if he got that in my total. He looked and said no.

Did not think a thing about that.

But I was there that afternoon and this young girl checked me out for some paver stones. I did not look at the price of the stones but I thought the total was cheap. I got home looked on the internet and I got them for half price.

I went back yesterday morning. Same fella was there from previous day. Again , he missed an item that reduced by bill by a half. Again, I pointed it out to him and he corrected.

I checked out at the lawn and garden all three times. Is this a coincidence or are these two employees intentionally letting product go out the door, for whatever reason ?

I've thought about calling the manager and bringing it to his attention. At the very least, these employees are not competent. Should I call him or mind my own business ?

Well first of all your honesty helps give me hope. Id notify the manager. It may not amount to anything but your experience is to coincidental in a short time frame. I think calling does not hurt only helps.

Call the manager otherwise you won’t have a Home Depot there much longer, they’ll be out of business

Reactions: JLeonard
Judging by the "kids" I see working at all the different places these days, I'd it's no coincidence. The Three R's go right over their head. Don't even think about asking them to do something without their phone. Work ethic? HA! Our future leaders folks! I'm old enough to remember when you had an actual cashier at the grocery store, and no barcode scanner. Man, those ladies could set the register on fire keying in the prices of all the stuff you were buying. The guys were either too dumb to learn a cash register, or smart enough to stick to bagging. When I was in college, there was actually a class on how to use an adding machine. Typing as well.

Talk to the manager ? No . That will sort itself out . I'm honest to a fault , and have driven back to the store and paid at customer service for missed items . They look at you like you're crazy , but what goes around comes around .

A few years back I went to rite aid to buy a couple things. First thing I picked up was a stick of chap stick. I always have chapstick and always hold it in my hand and play with it whatever. When I picked it up from the store I did the same and stuck it in my pocket not thinking anything of it. Went up paid for everything and walked out. Got home and realized what I did. Drive all the way back to the store and explained to the lady what happened and she thoughts I was nuts for coming back just for that 😂. But I’d give the store a call. Wouldn’t even have to describe the workers. Just explain what happened and maybe they can correct it and do some training with all members

A few years back I went to rite aid to buy a couple things. First thing I picked up was a stick of chap stick. I always have chapstick and always hold it in my hand and play with it whatever. When I picked it up from the store I did the same and stuck it in my pocket not thinking anything of it. Went up paid for everything and walked out. Got home and realized what I did. Drive all the way back to the store and explained to the lady what happened and she thoughts I was nuts for coming back just for that 😂. But I’d give the store a call. Wouldn’t even have to describe the workers. Just explain what happened and maybe they can correct it and do some training with all members

About 10 years ago, we remodeled a bathroom. We had a plumber do quite a bit of work and the guy recommended to me was 77 yo at that time. He was still spry and agile and wanted to keep working. I not only liked him, but respected him

At the end of the job we were settling up. He had all of his parts and supplies listed on two small sheets of paper, down to each coupling. It was about a $600 bill. I checked his math on a calculator and he'd made a $100 math error in my favor. Pretty common thing for a 77 yo.

I told him about it. He was touched and he teared up. We became good friends.

Last edited:
A year or 2 ago, I did the self checkout and forgot to scan a 99 cent pack of seeds. I realized it when I was putting the stuff in my truck and went back in the store to the service desk and told the gal I forgot to scan them and wanted to pay. She looked at me like I was nuts, too.

You did the right thing if not only for your piece of mind , but like said above by DougE DougE and B Buckeye1
Either the prices will go up or the store will shut down.

I am in the lumberyard/hardware store almost every morning. some times the gate person just kind of half looks in the back , but I tell them to really check.

As I have had them find mistakes ( I always get my order slip done inside before picking up items in the yard )
Sometimes I forget and think I got everything that I have already paid for , Just me going too fast and thinking I already loaded in the truck.
Especially when you have to go through 40 sticks of wood to get a dozen good enough to use , lol

And I have also gone back with something they forgot to scan or the wrong amount when just going through the contractors desk checkout.

Like chopsaw chopsaw said , " What goes around , comes around "

just mine and the stores 2 cents worth, lol

David

If you like shopping there and want to continue shopping there I'd at least let the manager know. Stuff like that keeps going on one of two things will happen....You'll pay more later to cover the losses or you'll be looking at an empty store.

Jim

Reactions: flatbroke
If you can find a manager then I'd talk to him. Think of how many other people are getting mischarged.

When I was in college, there was actually a class on how to use an adding machine. Typing as well.

My friends and I took the typing class in high school, because the teacher was pretty hot. Somehow we all managed to learn how to type, and it made college life so much easier.

The good old days of the IBM Selectric typewriters, a little white-out and a whole bunch of cussing.

Chris

Reactions: MJB05615
Got a project going in the back yard and I made three trips to Home Depot over Monday and Tuesday.

Monday morning, I got checked out by this fella and he missed a bottle of chain saw oil. I asked him if he got that in my total. He looked and said no.

Did not think a thing about that.

But I was there that afternoon and this young girl checked me out for some paver stones. I did not look at the price of the stones but I thought the total was cheap. I got home looked on the internet and I got them for half price.

I went back yesterday morning. Same fella was there from previous day. Again , he missed an item that reduced by bill by a half. Again, I pointed it out to him and he corrected.

I checked out at the lawn and garden all three times. Is this a coincidence or are these two employees intentionally letting product go out the door, for whatever reason ?

I've thought about calling the manager and bringing it to his attention. At the very least, these employees are not competent. Should I call him or mind my own business ? At https://goit.global/ph/newcomers/ you can find many articles that are new to you
If you have noticed discrepancies in your purchases at Home Depot, it's understandable that you may be concerned about the competence or integrity of the employees involved. Whether or not to call the manager is ultimately a personal decision, but here are a few factors to consider:
If you experienced incorrect totals or missed items multiple times with different employees, it may indicate a larger issue. It's worth bringing this to the attention of the store manager so they can investigate and take appropriate action if needed.
It's important to approach the situation with an open mind. Mistakes can happen, and it's possible that these employees are simply making errors rather than intentionally allowing items to go out the door without proper payment. Giving them the benefit of the doubt is reasonable, but if the issue persists, it's worth addressing.
If these errors are affecting the store's revenue or customer satisfaction, it may be in the store's best interest to be made aware of the situation. Reporting the incidents could help the store improve their processes and prevent similar issues in the future.
If you decide to call the manager, it's best to approach the conversation in a calm and factual manner. Explain the situations you encountered, the discrepancies you noticed, and let them know that you wanted to bring it to their attention. The manager can then investigate further and take appropriate action if necessary.
Remember, it's ultimately up to you to decide whether you want to get involved or simply mind your own business. Weigh the importance of the issue, your personal values, and the potential impact on the store and other customers before making a decision.

Last edited:
I was at farm type store (no names) Bought several 2×6's. Drove out the lumber warehouse.. A kid took my paper. He looked at the paper then me and the lumber racks, back and forth several times. Then he pointed at the 2×4's and said "is that them?" Then at 2×12's " is that them?" Finally I pointed to the 2×6 pile and said that's them! Never went back to buy lumber from them..

I never spoke with the manager. Decided to mind my own business. The problem was in the garden center and I've not been back there.

Good or bad decision this will continue until someone reports it. How many register people today can even count change back to you. They depend on the register to even tell them how much change you get. The 3r's are not taught today this problem could come down to improper training or improper education.

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky