Should I scrap it ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

backwoodssmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
Northern Michigan
Doing Canadian Bacon... Here's the problem, mixed up a 1 gal brine, called for 1 cup sugar, 1 cup brown sugar, 3/4 cup sea salt, spices, 1 Tb cure # 1 (I was thinking 1 Tb per Lb) I am using tender quick, added 5 tb for 5 lbs. I now see TQ says 1 cup to 4 cup water. I do not have that much TQ. I have put in 2 cups including first 5 tbs. This will be smoked to 160 so can I cure longer ? will it just be too salty with the extra sea salt plus TQ ? I was going to cure 7 days.

You might want to give Morton a call, I've heard they have a pretty good customer service group.  You can find their contact information at morton salt dot com.

I've seen the reference to 1 cup TQ to 4 cups water before, and have always wondered about it.  It seems WAY too high to me, but I'm new at this.  I'm pretty sure there's a ratio between concentration and cure time, but I would have no idea how to calculate that.

Last edited:
Make sure you do a fry test before smoking and soak if necessary!  You don't need both Cure #1 AND TQ - just one or the other.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky