Should I add fat to my ground brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lennyluminum

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
ST. Petersburg, FL
I'm making some burger meat with a mix on 5 lb brisket flat and 5 lbs short ribs.

I have about 7-8 lbs of fat from a wagyu brisket I want to add in.

Yes, though if it were me, I would add 2lb of pork belly. Accounting for fat already in the meat, it would put you somewhere between 80-85%

You have the Wagyu Fat, use it...JJ

I’ve read that the more fat you have in the meat the more you must cook it. Don’t known if that’s true. So no rare burgers. I like rare so I don't use as much fat.

Any detail on why? Not something I have heard. Totally curious now...JJ

I would use the fat, but not all of it , maybe 3 or 4 pounds.
When I make burgers I use 3.5 lbs. brisket to 1.5 lbs. pork belly.
Makes fantastic burgers.
Al

Reactions: S-met
Chef jimmyj I can’t remember where I read about the fat ratio in hamburgers and cooking times but it had something to do with un-rendered fat in the center of the burger. The fat in the center of the burger would not render if cooked to get a rear burger, hot and fast. So a lower fat content would allow for a more rare burger than one with higher fat. I’m no expert by any means but kind of makes since to me. I’m sure cooking technique has a lot to do with the process also.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I've always thought brisket was pretty fatty to begin with, but I guess if you trim it down really well, it probably isn't that fatty. To me, the optimal lean/fat ratio is 80/20. Higher lean is not as juicy, to me, more fat than 20 is just too much (and creates a fireball in the grill).

Does anyone here smoke their hamburger patties?

Khrakk the brisket has a fattier side and a more lean side, point, fatty part and flat leaner. Try cooking a burger on your grill using a cast iron pan, preheated. No flames and you can cook to the doneness you like. At the end you could put it on the grill for grill marks.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Chef jimmyj I can’t remember where I read about the fat ratio in hamburgers and cooking times but it had something to do with un-rendered fat in the center of the burger. The fat in the center of the burger would not render if cooked to get a rear burger, hot and fast. So a lower fat content would allow for a more rare burger than one with higher fat. I’m no expert by any means but kind of makes since to me. I’m sure cooking technique has a lot to do with the process also.

I see your point, but I would not say you MUST cook fattier burger more. Ground Chuck at 80/20 eaten Rare would have unrendered fat in the center. Have you eaten 80/20 Store bought Hamburgers Rare and found them to have hard fat in the middle? Now i would say, anything leaner than 80/20, MUST be cooked rare or med/rare in my opinion, as it would be dry as sawdust cooked any further. Interesting concept, sent some Likes...JJ

Reactions: Slow42
Chef jimmyj I like my hamburgers, rare, hot in the middle yet have that grill char, a very difficult think to accomplish. If you take your burger right out of the refrigerator, no matter the fat content, and grill, it’s almost impossible to have the center hot, cooked, and still rare, with a char. I must say I like thick burgers and that presents its own problems. I now use a cast iron pan, on the grill, for a very fast char then I can cook on indirect heat to get the center somewhat hot.
As far as fat goes the more the merrier. I find when I grind my own meats they taste great and are juicy even if cooked medium rare to medium. I’m all for a 70/30 mix. Also because I grind my own burger and let it get close to room temperature before cooking. Probably not the best practice but I haven’t had a problem. I manage my steaks the same way. Thanks for the like!

The leaner the better! But, that is me!
I am with pops on this!
I wouldnt add fat. I have ground my own beef for quite a while now and have never had it come out too lean. In fact it always juicy and delish regardless of how much fat I trimmed. I have ground chucks with all solid fat removed and it was still great. A brisket would likely have more fat than that. Plus - on a health factor assessment why add fat?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky