Should have asked first. Am I going to die now?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Canadagrown

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 5, 2019
I just started a build with a 1950’s Philco fridge I bought for $30. When I was taking it apart I bent and cracked one of the refrigerant lines and it started hissing out whatever gas was in there. I thought the gas would have leaked out long ago. Is that gas harmful? And how do I go about safely removing the motor and lines?

Question 2 is another that I thought about after I’ve removed all the insulation and breathed in the dust. Could there be asbestos in the insulation? I hope not

Canadagrown

Attachments

• 4119CEA2-5F40-427C-AF99-CC70489CF437.jpeg
    4119CEA2-5F40-427C-AF99-CC70489CF437.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 59
A single exposure is not a problem. Gloves and a mask would be a good idea for the rest of the build...JJ

Reactions: jcam222
The gas was freon, most likely the insulation is rock wool which does not have asbestos . However, They did use asbestos in insulation in the fiftys so there is a chance the insulation could have asbestos in it. I agree with Chef Jimmy. Always do things like that in a well ventilated area and use proper safety gear. At a minimum a dust mask. Anything made prior to the 80s likely has something in it that if continuously exposed to can cause harm.

There could be asbestos in the insulation as well as the sealing gaskets if they're original. As to the gas/liquid a solid waste recycle shop may be able to take it. Most automotive shops used to handle it when doing the AC recharging/swapping. As others have said mask, gloves and ventilation are needed.

Chris

NO, you are not going to die... lol... It is not like you were exposed to plutonium which kills in small doses..Except electrical current which may kill you instantly, there is nothing else in empty fridge that can kill you from short term exposure, unless you suck on freon line and cut off vital oxygen to your cells and lungs.....apparently you didn't so keep it cool and enjoy your project....

Last edited:
CFC’s were actually so non-irritating to the respiratory tract that their last legal use in a consumer product was as the propellant in albuterol inhalers (for asthma)

CFC’s were actually so non-irritating to the respiratory tract that their last legal use in a consumer product was as the propellant in albuterol inhalers (for asthma)
There ya go....No worries... if you have astma you'll get better, if you don't you'll keep getting better. .
BTW, I didn't know freon is used as astma spray propellant.... I know it is partially cause for ozone holes in upper atmosphere ..
If you accidentally released a whole quantity of freon from fridge, I would stay out of sun around the house for couple of days....just in case if ozone layer is temporary ripped above... you never know. .. lol....

It’s actually not used anymore. It caused a problem when they switched, because the drug was approved with the Freon propellant, and when they changed (to Hydrofluroalkane, if memory serves), it was treated as a new drug, and thus the price increased dramatically...

I know the HVAC pros could get in trouble for releasing Freon, but I never heard of any regular Joes getting fined or anything for leaking some.

Bear

There ya go....No worries... if you have astma you'll get better, if you don't you'll keep getting better. .
BTW, I didn't know freon is used as astma spray propellant.... I know it is partially cause for ozone holes in upper atmosphere ..
If you accidentally released a whole quantity of freon from fridge, I would stay out of sun around the house for couple of days....just in case if ozone layer is temporary ripped above... you never know. .. lol....
Not true. the older R12 used in refrigeration is actually Dichlorodifluoromethane. when breathed in and mixes with the moisture (hydro) in your lungs it becomes both hydrocloric and hydroflouric acid....nasty stuff.

Barry.

Not true. the older R12 used in refrigeration is actually Dichlorodifluoromethane. when breathed in and mixes with the moisture (hydro) in your lungs it becomes both hydrocloric and hydroflouric acid....nasty stuff.

Barry.
Too many thesis and different opinions... does anyone care the fact that Camadagrown didn't come back after his initial post to let us know outcome.. so far doesn't look very promising....

Too many thesis and different opinions... does anyone care the fact that Camadagrown didn't come back after his initial post to let us know outcome.. so far doesn't look very promising....

Good point, but if the freon got him he wouldn't have been posting about the release. Installing a central air conditioner years ago, I had a hose break loose and got a whiff of the cloud as I was crouched over it. I immediately could not catch my breath like I was having an asthma attach of the Nth degree. Very scary as I was alone on the jobsite and took several minutes to get my breath......hope he is ok from the asbestos though.

I call BS...
From the Freon 12 MSDS:

POTENTIAL HEALTH HAZARDS
SKIN: Irritation would result from a defatting action on tissue. Liquid contact could cause frostbite.
EYES: Liquid contact can cause severe irritation and frostbite. Mist may irritate.
INHALATION: R-12 is low in acute toxicity in animals even at concentrations of 5% (50,000 ppm). However, when oxygen levels in air are reduced to 12-14% by displacement, symptoms of asphyxiation, loss of coordination, increased pulse rate and deeper respiration will occur. At high levels, cardiac arrhythmia may occur.
INGESTION: Ingestion is unlikely because of the low boiling point of the material. Should it occur, discomfort in the gastrointestinal tract from rapid evaporation of the material and consequent evolution of gas would result. Some effects of inhalation and skin exposure would be expected.

They invented this stuff to be a non-toxic, non-flammable propellant...

I call BS...
From the Freon 12 MSDS:

POTENTIAL HEALTH HAZARDS
SKIN: Irritation would result from a defatting action on tissue. Liquid contact could cause frostbite.
EYES: Liquid contact can cause severe irritation and frostbite. Mist may irritate.
INHALATION: R-12 is low in acute toxicity in animals even at concentrations of 5% (50,000 ppm). However, when oxygen levels in air are reduced to 12-14% by displacement, symptoms of asphyxiation, loss of coordination, increased pulse rate and deeper respiration will occur. At high levels, cardiac arrhythmia may occur.
INGESTION: Ingestion is unlikely because of the low boiling point of the material. Should it occur, discomfort in the gastrointestinal tract from rapid evaporation of the material and consequent evolution of gas would result. Some effects of inhalation and skin exposure would be expected.

Your facts....not mine.:emoji_wink:

I was talking about the purported conversion to HCl and HF in the posting couple prior to yours.
I don’t doubt that catching a snoot full could be unpleasant...

Hey everyone I’m fine! Thanks for all the replies!!

I call BS...
From the Freon 12 MSDS:

POTENTIAL HEALTH HAZARDS

I wonder what the MSDS for Agent Orange would have said in the 60's.

Chris

Reactions: dernektambura
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky