Short Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

big nick

Original poster
May 29, 2011
Saint Helena, CA
Hey guys,

I just purchased a couple racks of Grass Fed Scotch Highland Short Ribs (think of Chewbacca walking on all fours with horns.) Now, before I go any further, I just want to point out that I am very familiar with the internet and the use of search engines...I did utilize the search engine on this site, but didnt really find what I was looking for. I am posting here today, looking for some tips on short ribs because these two racks costs me an arm and a leg, and I really don't want to mess them up.

A few pictures:

7fccd584_IMG_0140.jpg

023063d3_IMG_0141.jpg
d4ba1f5d_IMG_0142.jpg
0adfac0b_IMG_0144.jpg

So -- My plan is to not trim any of the fat, and score the fat in a cross hatch pattern... Use a hefty dose of my own dry rub, and most likely baste it with some sort of vinegar based sauce. I'm still undecided if I want to use a BBQ sauce or not to finish them... Also, I'm not quite sure what method to use. One site said 4 hours on the smoker, then two hours wrapped in foil.... I dont think i want to cook em for that long. I was thinking 2-2-1, what do you guys think? The total weight of the ribs is 6.93 pounds with a pretty substantial amount of fat.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I never do beef ribs more than 4 1/2 hours. Beef just does not need to go as long as pork does. Atleast in my view. I actually marinade mine in Mojo and in this version, like to just add them to an aluminum pan.

f9908aca_BR0008.jpg

Leave a little Mojo in the pan and just spoon it over the beefies as they smoke.

You'll know they are getting done by the color of them as they get darker. Remember to rotate them around as needed.

905d159f_BR0014.jpg

Once I am done, removed to a rack to cool down a bit and serve.

2a49a762_Draining0010.jpg

We've also done a very modified 3-2-1, more in the lines of 2-2- 1/2 which works pretty well also.

Last edited:
I forgot to ask, should I leave the racks whole, or cut them up? It seems most people seperate the ribs.... But I'm not sure

Expect Qviews by Wednesday :drool

I forgot to ask, should I leave the racks whole, or cut them up? It seems most people seperate the ribs.... But I'm not sure

Expect Qviews by Wednesday
drool.gif
This may be strange, but I have found that if you cut them up, and use the same method (heat & time), they seem to get over done.

If I was going to use the 3-2-1, I'd leave them in large sections.  IMO

Bear

I would leave them as is too. The only reason mine were cut is because that's the way I bought them. I have not been able to get whole racks yet. That's also why I didn't go 3-2-1, as I feared they would be tough.

Last edited:
Attn Flash and any one else with opinion.

What with the change in the temp for pork by the USDA. Are you still going to cook pork ribs etc. as long?????????

I know this is about beef ribs but i saw a honorable mention regarding time comparison.

Karl

Last edited:
Reactions: smokinjoeb

What with the change in the temp for pork by the USDA. Are you still going to cook pork ribs etc. as long?????????

I know this is about beef ribs but i saw a honorable mention regarding time comparison.

Karl
Absolutely.

There never was a rule that said we had to smoke Brisket, Chuckies, and Butts to 205˚ or 210˚ either, but we do. 3-2-1 wasn't meant to just get ribs safe to eat.

There are other reasons for our madness.

Good question though,

Bear

Expect Qviews by Wednesday
drool.gif
Bear and I are just different I guess. I like my beefies separated and if these are dino bones or Long Boned short ribs, I would separate them. If they are quite thick and you find them quite tender. Try putting them on a hot grill and take them to 135 to 140º internal.

6348ffeb_PrimeBone017.jpg

Karl

I rarely did a full 3-2-1 anyway. Always found that a little over done. Now my wife wants 3-2-1, while I am more 3- 1.5 - 1, sometimes even less.

Bear and I are just different I guess. I like my beefies separated and if these are dino bones or Long Boned short ribs, I would separate them. If they are quite thick and you find them quite tender. Try putting them on a hot grill and take them to 135 to 140º internal.
May be different, but I agree with you. If agreeing with you is different, then we're different. If you read what I said in Post #8, you'll be able to deduct that if I was going to do them your way (135˚ to 140˚), I would cut them apart, like you do, but if you cut them up & use the 3-2-1 that I and many others use, they would get too done. Nothing wrong with either way.

Really nothing here to argue about. I like them both ways. I just like 3-2-1 more. 

Thanks,

Bear

May be different, but I agree with you. If agreeing with you is different, then we're different. If you read what I said in Post #8, you'll be able to deduct that if I was going to do them your way (135˚ to 140˚), I would cut them apart, like you do, but if you cut them up & use the 3-2-1 that I and many others use, they would get too done. Nothing wrong with either way.

Really nothing here to argue about. I like them both ways. I just like 3-2-1 more. 

Thanks,

Bear

Most of the time when we see these Long Bone short ribs, our butchers have already cut them into singles, and then cut them even more for "short" ribs. Being ours were fairly thick and full of meat (see my photo) the last time I found a rack of them (4 bones) I had the butcher go ahead and separate them. Like you said, any way you do them, will turn out a great piece of meat.

Most of the time when we see these Long Bone short ribs, our butchers have already cut them into singles, and then cut them even more for "short" ribs. Being ours were fairly thick and full of meat (see my photo) the last time I found a rack of them (4 bones) I had the butcher go ahead and separate them. Like you said, any way you do them, will turn out a great piece of meat.
Yup--You're right!

The biggest bone-head move I've made was when I got some of those boneless fake pork ribs to try. They were already sliced most of the way through, to make them look like real ribs. The dumb move was I gave them a 3-2-1. I even thought about looking closer after the 2 hours in foil, but I just finished them anyway. They were good, but much too dry. If I ever get any like that again, I'll do them for much less time. I guess it's because the heat is hitting them from 4 different sides, when they're cut apart.

Later Flash,

Beare

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky