Short Ribs low n slow (no foil)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edwardalt

Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Kansas City, MO
Seasoned with SPOG (Coarse sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, onion powder and granulated garlic).  Fired 8 coals and loaded my large basket with KBB and a big chunk of cherry.  Grill temp was stable around 210 and put ribs on last night around 7:30 pm

Had issues with temp coming down to 160 during the night, but in the morning was cruising around 235.

Took ribs off around 11:30 am.  Temp probe was tender, internal temp around 196 or so.

Took half to my neighbors, and cut into the other half ... 

Beef ribs, smoked like that, are awesome! I love seasoning them like I would a steak, comes out like a mini ribeye with handles!

Very nice and pointing!

Thanks Cranky and b-one!  They were very juicy and mighty tasty!  I think short ribs are my favorite cut of beef.

Ribeyes and briskets are my other favorite beef cuts!

Short ribs have probably more beef flavor of any cut.  They're actually most similar to smoking brisket point, with a lot of connective tissue, requiring long rendering time (low n slow).  They really don't need too much seasoning, and I have a tendency to overdo it.  So before I put 'em on, I took a fork and removed some of the seasoning I had put on.  

There's one bone left, only because I wanted them to last longer than one sitting, but it won't last long ... :)

If you click on that last picture, you'll see that rich beef flavor oozing out ... 

Last edited:
It's kind of interesting, as the butcher at The Local Pig asked me about my preference for beef.  It's what I grew up with, and I can pretty much cook beef in my sleep (tried to last night).  I need to take lessons from the rest of you guys or my brother on pork though, as I haven't really figured that out.  The last time my wife had my BB ribs she said they tasted like bacon ... and even though BBs are from ribs next to the belly, I don't think bbq ribs should taste like bacon.  I usually do st louis style spares ... 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky