Shelf Life

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jeremywatco

Original poster
Jan 7, 2022
Hi there,

Took our first pig to the processing guy last week. He killed the pig on Thursday and processed it on Tuesday. I picked up all the meat Tuesday afternoon... everything went into the freezer except the slabs which he wrapped in butcher paper and I placed in the fridge. My intention was to start curing it immediately, then smoke, then slice & freeze. Well, the week got away from me and here it is Friday morning and I still havent done anything with the pork belly slabs. I did a little reading and it seems like slabs uncured are only good for about 1-2 days. Truth? Is this meat destined for the dumpster now or can I start the cure today?

If the slab bacon has been kept in a cold refrigerator, I would still cure them with a dry cure. You are 7 days from kill date....
But do put them in cure as soon as possible this weekend.

Note:
I picked up a whole leg ham off a pastured Berkshire from my butcher to cure and make boneless prosciutto. The Leg was 6 days out from kill date. Cured fine and is drying in my chamber now....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky