Sheboygan Bratwersts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deejaydebi

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Connecticut
Make some sheboygan bratwersts late last night. Forgot to take pictures until after I packaged them for the freezer! Opps!
f04429fa_vbattach11645.jpg

Next batch I'm putting cheddar cheese in the middle. I really like cheese in them. My sister likes them plain ...

:(

Those look great Debi!! I'm with Rodger on this, cough up the recipe -PLEASE!!!!

Sorry I'm behind on my posts ...

SHEBOYGAN STYLE BRATWURST SAUSAGE

10 Lbs Ground Pork
1/2 Cup Bread Crumbs
4 eggs
2 tablespoons salt
2 cups of milk
1 tablespoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1teaspoon onion powder or 1 onion minced
1 teaspoon mace

about ... 2 cups of high temperature cheddar cheese (did really measure that)

Mark - I didn't smoke them but I don't really think the cheese would get mch smoke. This was store bought high temperature cheese made for stuffing sausages from Con Yeager.

Thanks for sharing, Debi!!

Up -

I found them awhile back when trying to find a cheap source for Juniper Berries. Around here in the health food store one little spice bottle full goes for $6.99. I think it's only $2.69 for a shaker. Although I finally gave it up and just ordered a half gallon of the little buggers! The pastrami is such a hit I've ordered Juniper Berries 3 times in the last month!

What's the difference between Sheboygan and regular brats? I work with a German lady and she said the Brat's in Germany are quite skinny and longer than the brat's here (like the size of Johnsonville). She also said that the best brat's in Germany are Thuringer, she said they are THE brat. All the recipes I found for them list them as like a summer sausage. Anyone know any different? She also couldn't believe that marjoram wasn't an ingredient in any of the recipes I showed her...

All I know is Jessie is from Wisconsin and Sheboygan Brats are a big hit out there. I guess Sheboygan is a town in Wisconsin. I found them a bit salty for my taste though. Next time I'll cut it back a bit.

moltenone-

It's not smoked cheese it's actually store bought from Con Yeager for some reason it doesn't melt out like mine does. They call it high temperature cheese. Doesn't taste any different though. I used my cheddar in some breakfast sausage and it drooled out all over the grates. Nasty mess! I saw this high temperaure cheese and thought I'd try it. I works well - don't know what they did but it works!

Might try it in some ABTs next time I find some.

I have a bunch of wild boar meat that a friend gave to me.

Do you think that would work to make brats with?

Also would it work out to leave out the bread crumbs? I have a wheat allergy and can not eat wheat.

I don't see why not. Tom or Goat could probably giveyou more specifics about boars though ... I've never has a wild boar

sorry to highjack this thread..lol
in most recipes calling for bread crumbs, you can substitute pure rye bread crumbs, crushed rye wafers, corn flakes, potato chips, instant potato flakes, or cornmeal.

i did some looking around and found something that may interest you Cheech...

you make waffles yes waffles..lol
dry them out in the oven, sprinkle with seasonings and butter...crumble into bread crumbs when finished drying....

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gluten Free Waffles [/font]
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
recipelayout_08.gif
recipelayout_09.gif
recipelayout_10.gif
recipelayout_11.gif
recipelayout_12.gif
spacer.gif
[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]contributed by Carol Fenster, Ph.D.
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hearty, homemade waffles can be made ahead and re-heated for a quick nutritious breakfast. [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ingredients: Dry Ingredients: 1-1/2 cups Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour 1 Tbsp. Sugar 2 tsp. Baking Powder 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda 1/2 tsp. Salt Liquid Ingredients: 1 large Egg 1/2 cup Milk 1 Tbsp. Cooking Oil Additional Oil for Frying [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. Blend all ingredients in blender or whisk vigorously in bowl until thoroughly blended. Let batter sit for five minutes.

2. While batter rests, preheat waffle iron according to manufacturerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s directions. (Adjust temperature setting after cooking first waffle.)

3. Lightly oil hot waffle iron, if necessary. Pour 1/4 of batter (or manufacturerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s recommended amount) onto heated waffle iron. Close and bake until steaming stops and waffle is deeply browned, about 4-6 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter. Makes 4 waffles, 8 inches each, depending on waffle iron size. Serves 4 (1 waffle per serving). [/font]

http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipe/detail.php?rid=750

If you leave the bread crumbs out it's going to make for a drier sausage. I'm pretty sure they are in thier to soak up some of the milk in the recipe to hold the moisture in while they are being cooked. I'm sure you could omit the breadcrumbs but the recipe will need some adjustments most likely.

You could also substitue soy powder for the bread crumbs. It's a less flavorful way of acheiving the same goal of moisture retention. I haven't used soy before because its kind of pricey, but im sure one of the places that sells it could give you advice on substituting it in Debi's recipe.

There are also as many brat recipes as people in the world. It would be pretty easy to find a similar recipe that doesnt use bread crumbs.

Looks great , I have to make some soon . Sheybogan is a town in Wis. Thanks for sharing your recipe!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky