Sharptail Grouse "Chicken Fried" Steak, Tasso Homefries, and steamed greenbeans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
I went bird hunting in Montana last October with a buddy from Kansas. We shot some sharptail grouse, pheasants and ducks.

1581645971253.jpeg

1581745175574.jpeg

I've never shot or eaten sharptail grouse before this trip. Neat bird. My buddy highly recommended doing chicken fried steak with the breast meat so that's what I did.

First, mix up the buttermilk, 2 eggs, and 10 drops of Tomorrow Sauce (made by my friend in Maryland with peppers from his garden). It really not that bad.....<wink, wink> Think Tabasco X20....

1581645437821.jpeg

Next, pound out the sharptail breasts with a meat mallet to about 1/4" thick. I like to use a large piece of saran wrap to make it easy and contain the splatter. Put the meat in the buttermilk wash and then in the frig. Let soak for about 4 hours.

Now it's time to start prepping for the Tasso Home Fries.

Cube the tasso and dice the onion.
1581645508839.jpeg

Slice the potatoes 1/4" thick in either rounds or half rounds. par boil the potatoes in boiling salted water 3 minutes, then drain.

1581645553702.jpeg

In a #8 cast iron pot, Fry down the onion in a little bacon grease for 10 min. or so, then add the tasso. Fry another 5 minutes, then add the potatoes. Stir together then let fry. Flip the potatoes after 3 minutes, Do not stir. Should look somehting like this when done.
1581645581118.jpeg

When ready to start cooking the steaks, start mixing up the flour:

1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup corn starch
1 tsp. cracked black pepper
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Then pull a steak out of the buttermilk with a fork and shake excess off. Coat in flour and set on a baking sheet. Be sure to sprinkle flour on the surface to prevent sticking. After all are done, repeat once again, in buttermilk, and back in flour mix.
1581645481910.jpeg

Heat up 1/2 cup of oil in a cast iron skillet. Let the cutlets sit for about 5 minutes in the sheet pan then you are ready to start frying.

1581645818131.jpeg

Fry the steaks 3 minutes per side @ 325*; 2 at a time...do not overcrowd the pan.

When done, make the gravy. Drain all but 1/4 cup of the oil out of the pan into a stainless steel bowl. Add about 2 TBSPS. flour to the pan and stir 2~3 minutes to make the roux. Slowly add the milk and stir in. Bring to a slow simmer. Season with salt and cracked Black pepper to taste.
1581645834146.jpeg

And there you have it.....

1581820268061.jpeg

A hearty meal on a cold night. Just remember..that Tomorrow Sauce ain't too bad......LOL!!!

Last edited:
That dish looks great. Jcam, Chukkars are tasty. I've been looking into raising them...JJ

IDS, Good looking meal and a great recipe for the grouse. They look fairly close in markings to the ruffed grouse we have up here in NH.

Those look great, I like "chicken fried cooking", but since I don't know what Dove or grouse tastes like - I'll assume a gamy chicken.

Point for sure
Chris

IDS, Good looking meal and a great recipe for the grouse. They look fairly close in markings to the ruffed grouse we have up here in NH.
Thanks Crazymoon.
Those look great, I like "chicken fried cooking", but since I don't know what Dove or grouse tastes like - I'll assume a gamy chicken.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks gmc2003.

Looks great, never had those but the ruffed Grouse we have here in Tn are all white meat, wife loves them but 1 bird per 5-10 mile walking is a little much for me these days lol

Wow what a great looking dish all the way around.

Warren
Thanks Halfsmoked.
Looks great, never had those but the ruffed Grouse we have here in Tn are all white meat, wife loves them but 1 bird per 5-10 mile walking is a little much for me these days lol
These did not have white breast meat, it was colored like a dove breast, not as dark as a duck breast though. Yeah, the locals told us the sharptail grouse was a bird of 8 miles. We walked a 16 square mile area and flushed 11, killed 6. Flushed 3 different coveys.

The ruffed run in single or pairs, don't think I ever jumped more than 2 at a time.

About that Tomorrow Sauce....

My buddy says he named it that because, "You will remember you ate it- Tomorrow! After it makes it's way through your digestive track." LOL!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky