Setting up a snake on a Weber 22 with a dual probe thermometer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WhiskerBiscuit

Original poster
Aug 3, 2018
I’ve only done one snake smoke on my Weber, and I hung a multimeter thermocouple down the kettle air holes. I’ve since gotten a Thermapro TP20 which I plan on using for my upcoming pork butt smoke.

The question I have is, how do I setup the probes? The transmitter has to be outside of the kettle, so the probe wires have to go from the meat, and the kettle temp probe to the transmitter, which requires the wires to either go up through the kettle holes or the kettle has to be placed over the wires. Going up through the kettle holes seems like it will be a major pain in the neck, especially when removing the lid. Placing the kettle over the wires will allow for heat and smoke to escape. Neither setup seems ideal.

With my Maverick I run the cables under the lid and over the base. There isn't a noticeable amount of smoke or heat loss.

Chris

The cable should be pretty thin on your probe. I seriously doubt that it will adversely effect your cooking results. I don't have a kettle "yet" but that's my two cents.

George

I used a dremel to cut a small notch on the kettle. No pinch and I can fit two wires and spin the lid freely. After I do my smoke I might put a dab of rustoleum on the bare metal.

I agree with not a lot of smoke escape. I too have a kettle. When I did meal last weeked I put it through the top hole. It was a bit of a hassle. It does seem ideal to just put the lid on the cable, but...will this end up compromising the cables in any way? Seems I read somewhere that you don't want to crimp the probe cable. While the lid is not altogether heavy, seems repeatedly doing this may eventually be bad?

Just a thought.

As long as you don't slam the lid onto the cable you should be fine. The probe itself will probably crap out before the cable.

Chris

I ran my wires over the lip and set the lid on top. Both meat probe and temp probe

If you have a dremel, it’s a 5 minute job. There is a YouTube video out there to help. I only did the kettle, not the lid and I have tons of clearance. WEAR SAFTEY GOGGLES. I put them on almost as an afterthought and I’m lucky I did. I got a stream of sparks into my face. I don’t think it will compromise the kettle in any way. I’m doing a smoke now and no smoke is coming out of the notch.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky