Set Your Planning Calendar!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pops6927

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 23, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx.
.... for St. Patties Day! Saturday, March 17th!

I am going to go traditional this year with a full packer brisket. Purchase it on Thursday, March 1st and put it in the cure. I will cut the flat from the point, inject the point and take them out on Friday, March 16th, then smoke the point for pastrami on Saturday and boil the flat for corned beef and cabbage on Saturday, too. Sounds like a good Irish plan to me! (Broke until the 1st, otherwise I'd do it sooner! May have to add 2 oz vs 1 oz of curing salt to my curing brine.... so flexible!)

beef brisket untrimmed.jpg

Reactions: diggingdogfarm
Looking forward to it as usual Pops.

Chris

Sounds like a great plan Pops!
I do it the same way, after curing, I put the flat in a crock pot.
And smoke the point for pastrami.
Al

MMmmmmm, crock pot... there's an idea, never thought of that! Usually just boil it in a large pan, then add the potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage and simmer until done, about ½ hour. How long in the crock pot on high before adding the veggies? 4 hours?

Got a flat cut from a 14# briskie sitting in it's corning solution for a Saturday smoke to pastrami. Can't wait for St. Patty's day, gotta have my pastrami fix sooner Pops.

You see, planning is critical! Time is money. To be able to cook the corned beef in any way, my wife hates corned beef, something about cases of it off the railroad (big railroad family) and them picking cabbages from the backyard, sauerkraut, etc.; bad memories. So, anytime I cook corned beef she can't be in the house, and time is money - she has to leave and go shopping and how much will that cost me? $200, $300, $400?:D

Last edited:
I usually keep it in the crock pot on high for the whole day, until it's probe tender, usually about 8-10 hours.
Al

Thank you, Al, but that would not work out at all. I can't afford an all-day shopping spree! :( Will have to bring out the boiled dinner pot! (Wife has never had MY corned beef, however. Never know, she just might like it! She did like the pastrami we had a few months ago!).

Howdy Pop. Funny thing. I tossed a few flats in your cure brine last Saturday. I took them out yesterday. I vac sealed 2 for later. The smaller third one is in the oven now.
We like to toss rough cut cabbage and few slices of onion and a beer into a Dutch oven. Place the beef on top of the cabbage and sprinkle some course black pepper and a couple of bay leafs. Cover with the lid at 275 degrees for 3 hours . Take the cover off and give it one more hour. Should be fork tender by about then.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky