"Select" Prime Rib

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cody_Mack

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 8, 2021
Fulshear, TX
HEB has them for $3.88/lb this week. As they say, it ain't Prime, but it is Prime Rib! So, what's y'all's best recipe and method for getting something special out of this. I've been taking notes on what goodness you bring from some "lesser" cuts...ahem...Eye of Round....etc. I'm thinking at minimum SPG and heavy on the P, then slow and low to gradual hot smoke?

Not sure what areas the sale is in effect. I am located due west of Houston 40 miles. They also have Boston Butts for $0.88/lb. I'm seeing a slab of BBB and the rest seriously gonna make some Tamales! Serious THIS time, I mean...LOL

Rick

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
The select rib roast can be sous vide for 12 hours or so and made fantastic as medium rare. Otherwise, I inject them with au ju and let them sit bagged in the fridge for 24 hours then cook.

The select rib roast can be sous vide for 12 hours or so and made fantastic as medium rare. Otherwise, I inject them with au ju and let them sit bagged in the fridge for 24 hours then cook.
Great...now you got me searching for au ju! So if you got any tips...LOL

Maybe Santa check my Amazon list and bring me a sous vide...pretty sure we need one...

I've been taking notes on what goodness you bring from some "lesser" cuts...ahem...Eye of Round....etc. I'm thinking at minimum SPG and heavy on the P, then slow and low to gradual hot smoke?
Low and slow is the ticket. You are not really cooking a standing rib roast, just warming it up.

Great...now you got me searching for au ju! So if you got any tips...LOL
I have Minor's Au Jus prep and paste on board, but here is my old stand-by au jus recipe. I freeze extra in those plastic condiment cups. For injecting you might dilute it a hair.

RRP AuJus - ~thirdeye~ version
1 14 oz can Beef Consume
1 packet Lipton Beefy Onion Soup (dry mix)
1-1/2 of the soup can cold water
5 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 splashes of Soy Sauce
1 teaspoon of garlic salt
2 teaspoon Herb-OX beef bullion
2 teaspoons Montreal Steak rub
1 teaspoon Smokin’ Guns Rub**
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Bring ingredients to a low simmer in a saucepan, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Try to avoid having the liquid come to a boil. Additional water can be added if flavors are too strong, or if liquid gets too thick. AuJus is a thin table sauce, NOT a gravy. Pour through strainer to remove the onions and coarse pieces from the Montreal Steak rub. Serve warm

Chef Paul Prudhomme's method was cut back (Leaving it attached) the fat cap and put your rub between the fat cap and the meat.
Then tie, rub the outside then low and slow.
That's worked well for me with with select and prime.

Remember brisket was a cheap-o tough cut that's rose to fame by how it's prepared so it's all in how it's prepared with a prime rib too.. Not sayin' select prime rib is a tough cut.

A Lawry's chef told me a long time ago theirs a big end and a small end to a prime rib. That's all that mattered to them back then. The small end is what they roast and send their big end to their cheaper restaurant (Tam 'O Shanter) to roast.
"We don't use commercial meat " he added.

HEB has them for $3.88/lb this week. As they say, it ain't Prime, but it is Prime Rib! So, what's y'all's best recipe and method for getting something special out of this. I've been taking notes on what goodness you bring from some "lesser" cuts...ahem...Eye of Round....etc. I'm thinking at minimum SPG and heavy on the P, then slow and low to gradual hot smoke?

Not sure what areas the sale is in effect. I am located due west of Houston 40 miles. They also have Boston Butts for $0.88/lb. I'm seeing a slab of BBB and the rest seriously gonna make some Tamales! Serious THIS time, I mean...LOL

Rick
Were about 50 miles south of Houston and our local HEB has the same sale on. I'll pull out the sous vide cooker when we cook it

Up here, Safeway had a sale (on top of a "sale") on Choice rib roasts, $6.77 lb, if you had an extra digital coupon. I picked up this 6.8 lb one for under $46. Beef prices have been ridiculous here, as you can see by the sticker. I think this is the first cut (other than hamburger) that I've bought in the past 2 months.
20211217_134308.jpg
20211217_134254.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky