Seeking recommendation for electric smoker (Los Angeles area)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mgj2727

Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
Hi everyone - I'm new to the forum.  I've made the decision to start smoking and will need to go electric (unless someone happens to know one that can connect to natural gas).

I've been trying to find the best model for around $300-$400.  So far, the Masterbuilt 40 (with glass window, and from Amazon at about $299) is the top choice.  But I'm a little concerned on the negative reviews I've read and all the issues people have.  In addition, in reading all the positive reviews on Amazon, I have a hunch there's some fraud going on, as many of the reviews show a pattern (if you click on their "other" reviews, they seem to show a pattern of a bunch of reviews on one or two days and that's it).  Plus, very few certified buyers.

So, my question is, what electric smoker would your recommend?  

Thanks

One follow-up note.  I see there are more than 20+ within the electric smoker section (and 18 have viewed my post).

Can any of you please impart your wisdom and give recommendations on an electric smoker to purchase?

Please?

Consider the smokin it line of electrics. As for the masterbuilts, if you can find a generation 1 model then go for it. The gen 2 has issues. I know.....I've had both.

So Smokin It is a good line?  I'll research those right now.  Are they related to the Smokin Tex?  

Consider the smokin it line of electrics. As for the masterbuilts, if you can find a generation 1 model then go for it. The gen 2 has issues. I know.....I've had both.
Haven't the issues of the MasterBuilt Gen 2 been fixed?

A company called Academy had the 1st gen on sale earlier today for $199, but I missed the boat.  So, I'm still looking :)

No they haven't been fixed. The last fix they had was (get this).... they siliconed the seams of the controllers because they thought moisture might be getting in. The siliconed one they sent me was off by more than the one that came with the unit. And after maybe 5 cooks it wouldn't get the the temp over 225. They are actively working on a new design with a different controller now but who knows when. Masterbuilt isn't saying cause they still have a bunch of these things they need to get rid of. And some of the customer service reps are still saying there are no known issues with the gen 2. I guess everyone knows but them.

Last edited:
I got on the boat!  I just happened to check Academy again and they had the Masterbuilt 40" generation 1 smoker on sale again for $199.  I figured at that price, I can't go wrong (well.. let's hope!).  All in, it's $229.  No tax.  

Now... to figure out accessories.... :)

That's a deal! That's a cooker that retailed for $ 450. Better design, better reliability than the gen 2. Dont miss that one.

I'm in the OC area with a second gen MES 30 and like it a lot. There isn't a lot of parts involved so if something does go wrong, you can easily get replacement parts or repair it yourself. I came from WSM so I'm not going back. Enjoy smoking in the sunnt so cal weather! Love smoking jerky when its hot!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky