Seeing Grease

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

octane2009

Original poster
Jul 21, 2016
Indiana
Hey guys I am making my 3rd batch of summer sausage. However this time I am Hanging it inside my MES40. I ramped it up from 130 I am a 172 currently (Built in thermometer and real temp off about 13 degrees) I just checked on sausage and noticed pan under sausage has a grease on it? I am not sure what to think. My IT is currently 137.

unsure.gif

Did you crank it up or start low and step up 10* every couple of hours?  Just because the core is 137* the outer meat will be at the higher pit temp and may have started to fat out.   I would think the Fluke is more accurate, but have you done a ice water/boiling water verification of the calibration?  Also summer sausage don't like to be rushed.  Plan on at least 7 to 8 hours or more depending on how you are stepping up the temps.

Last edited:

Did you crank it up or start low and step up 10* every couple of hours?  Just because the core is 137* the outer meat will be at the higher pit temp and may have started to fat out.   I would think the Fluke is more accurate, but have you done a ice water/boiling water verification of the calibration?  Also summer sausage don't like to be rushed.  Plan on at least 7 to 8 hours or more depending on how you are stepping up the temps.
I started at 130 and cranked up 10 deg at a time. That last post was at around 9pm I started at 7:30 am They are just reaching the IT of 153 at 4:15am I guess we will see soon

Cool spots? move the therm closer to the heat source. you might be reading higher up in the chamber and the fat out is at the bottom of the sausage near  the heat source.

Boykjo

Hey

Not bad. As long as they taste good to you then you did good.....EH

sausage.gif

Ditch all them fancy probes, you dont need em.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky