Second brisket ever, great results!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Berettaclayshooter

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 14, 2018
Elizabethtown, PA
So over fathers day weekend my local supermarket was running whole briskets for $1.99 Lb. I had envisioned buying (2) 18Lb bad boys, but they averaged around 11 Lbs. ... I bought 3 for the freezer. So last weekend we were having a yard-sale, perfect time to finally cook one of the briskets. 5:45 am started the smoker using oak and went in to trim up the brisket leaving about 1/4"-3/8" fat cap. I used a simple rub of kosher salt, coarse pepper, granulated onion and garlic. Got the brisket on the smoker around 6:30am after it hit 275F. After the first 3 hours I would spritz with apple juice every 30-45 mins. About 11am I hit 160F and wrapped in a double layer of butcher paper. 3:30PM I had 203F and pulled the brisket off the smoker to rest in a cooler. 6pm the brisket came down to around 150F and I went to slicing. I did screw up some of the point since I couldn't tell the grain direction, after which I separated it from the flat and then it was all good. I gave the wife a burnt end.. she's not huge on BBQ like I am, but she gave it two thumbs up!
IMG_8189.JPG
IMG_8190.JPG
IMG_8191.JPG

Thanks for the kind remarks. I was very happy with how it turned out. I am schooled in the ideas of Aaron Franklin, he's obsessed and his product shows. When a BBQ joint makes several thousand pounds of meat a day and sells out every day, it's not a fluke just damn good.

Nicely done, excellent looking brisket. At 1.99 a pound Holy Cow.

Point for sure
Chris

The yard-sale was a bust! It rained (down poured) mid morning, I think the wife sold about $50 worth of "stuff", she later sold some things on FB marketplace and made almost the same amount with out all the effort of pricing things and setting everything up. My daughter and the neighbor girl had a stand next door selling cookies and lemonade, they did well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky