Second Bell Fab Brisket Cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Displaced Texan

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 11, 2020
Burr Ridge, IL
At it again. Installed 2 additional tuning plates. Much more even temps so far. 12 lb. prime brisket.

IMG_8787.JPG

IMG_8788.JPG

IMG_8789.JPG

Temps have stayed steady between 250°-275°. I'm approaching 7 hours. This thing was 12 pounds before trimming. I wrapped it about an hour ago. Just probed it again and it says 207°.

Hard to believe it could be done already.

Temps look very even, & the brisket looks excellent. But I have to ask, and I hope this doesn’t offend you, but when you pay that much money & have such a long wait for it. Why would you have to add tuning plates to get even temps. Why weren’t they installed at the factory. I do have to admit I had to make a couple of mods on my Lang to get even temps, and was a bit pissed about that, but the cost was under $10 to get it right. Maybe these companies need to talk to their customers & get feedback on the actual experience from the average backyard smoker!
Al

Temps look very even, & the brisket looks excellent. But I have to ask, and I hope this doesn’t offend you, but when you pay that much money & have such a long wait for it. Why would you have to add tuning plates to get even temps. Why weren’t they installed at the factory. I do have to admit I had to make a couple of mods on my Lang to get even temps, and was a bit pissed about that, but the cost was under $10 to get it right. Maybe these companies need to talk to their customers & get feedback on the actual experience from the average backyard smoker!
Al
Good question. I only paid $950 from Craig Bell down near Tulsa. He was supposed to make them. I got down there and he forgot. So, he made one and I thought that would suffice. Only drawback with him is he doesn't ship, so he would probably make a couple more like that for me, but it was just easier this way. A hundred bucks for the 2 additional plates, I figure I am still well under what I would have paid for a Yoder, Lang, et al. The Loaded Wichita I was looking at was around $3200.

I started reading some forum comments about Yoders having possible airflow issues. In further research, I came across Bell Fab. I called Craig. Within 2 weeks I had my pit, so it was not a long wait in my case.

Certainly not offended. I enjoy your comments on the forum.

Edit: Have consulted with TNJake quite a bit. His Bell Fab is just a little bigger than mine, but he has tuning plates and others have said he has that pit dialed in, so I went with his advice to get a couple more.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky