Seasoning a new smoker, required?

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by sumosmoke, Dec 29, 2007.

1. sumosmoke

sumosmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I've been blessed with a new, upright cylindrical-type charcoal water smoker, for Christmas and wanted to know if it's necessary to season the smoker before using for the first time.

Thanks in advance for the advice!!!

2. morkdach

morkdach Master of the Pit OTBS Member

i always have seasoned mine but i'm not a seasoned smoker yet but the rest of these guys will get you on the right track[​IMG]

3. ba_loko

ba_loko Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Well, it's highly recommended. If it were me, I'd burn off any oils, etc that may have been on the metal from the factory.

4. I'm no expert but I burned mine without any meat for the first time.

5. glued2it

glued2it Master of the Pit

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!! You have to burn off the new or you'll have that taste in your meat.[​IMG]

6. cman95

cman95 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Rub down the inside of smoker with cooking oil or spray with pam. Remember to keep water in pan. In fact wrap pan in foil to save on cleanup. Bring temp up as high as possible and run a pan or two of charcoal and your smoker should be seasoned. Good luck.

7. bwsmith_2000

bwsmith_2000 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I agree ..... rub it down with cooking oil or spray and run a bowl of charcoal through it. I also keep my water pan wrapped with tin foil. I really does save time with clean up.

8. sumosmoke

sumosmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Thanks to everyone for their advice on seasoning the smoker. It's smokin' away in the back yard and I'm so excited to put some meat on it and get smoking for good!

SMF is the best site for newbies like myself. Thanks again!! [​IMG]