Searing with a Looftlighter

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daytripper

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 30, 2021
Hey all -

Just as the subject says - has anyone seared a sous-vide cook using a Looftlighter..? Seems much easier than firing up a grill just to sear, and maybe(?) more effective and outdoors-y than searing on a stovetop.

I'm thinking a prime rib done of the SV, then seared w. the Looft...

thanks!
marc

Huh, never heard of this device. Googled it to be schooled up. Seems like it would work. I mean 1200 degrees should be plenty even with no flame. WOuld work like an electric broiler i assume?

I just just a propane plumbing torch. Scares the hell out of my dogs tho.

Reactions: zwiller
thanks - let's see how we get on..! Will have a hot skillet ready just in case...

Results inconclusive. I had given it an impromptu smoke the day before - this gave it a lot of colour pre-SV, so I couldn't see the effects of the Looftlighter on the meat.

+1. Bonus points for scaring the crap out of ANYONE nearby while using it. :emoji_laughing:

20220305_174710_resized_1.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky