Searing idea needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

miserkris

Original poster
Jul 15, 2017
Hello,
I wanna be able to sear Salmon, Steak , etc ... Never done it! I do have a gas spirit and a charcoal weber performer grill.

What kind of skillet do I need, cast iron? Any good brand?

I have Prime & I am near a kohls...

Tia !...Kris

When I want to sear, I use a cast iron skillet on the gas grill. I really like taking a steak from the smoker to a super hot cast iron skillet.

Reactions: indaswamp
A CI skillet or searing over coals is a nice way to go, nothing compares to a weed torch. RAY

I sear in a CI skillet with about 1-2 tablespoons of Ghee. Great crust and flavor buildup.

I think you have some good ideas above = CI.

another option depending on how you are cooking the meat is a torch. implying sous vide some beef and blowtorch the sear. pretty fun too.

Thx... Is it best to get a CI with flat surface or with grill like surface? Any of these ok?

Lots of debate about best pan and method but one overlooked fact of searing is the meat needs to be DRY for the best sear. I actually use a small fan for 15-20m before searing. Also, if you are not happy with the sear of your grill, get a sear burner for it. HUGE improvement. Mine is a infrared and goes up to 1500F. For a medium rare steak we are talking 30 seconds per side.

Check this out- It is Awesome Weber cast iron sear grate. I wish I found this before I bought just the middle insert from Weber for $45. I love that insert but if you are cooking 5 big steaks for the family you can only sear 2 at a time and that's a pain. I would highly recommend spending a little extra on this bad boy- GrillGrates. They make these sear grates for almost any grill. I plan on getting these in the next few months for a Christmas/ birthday gift (only been asking for it for 3 years). I am about to do 2 28.5oz bone-in Ribeyes on the Weber this weekend. I will try out my Slow 'N Sear and post results.

If your doing a small steak. A charcoal starter works really well. Just put a grate on top & it will sear in a minute!
Al

Sorry forgot to mention , I plan on only a small steak. BTW can I sear any meat ? Fish, chicken quarters?

My wife just reminded we have 2 old CI ... pls check pics. One is rusted , the other is ok . Dunno if that "LODGE" is a good brand. Can I restore the rusted one easily using vinegar / CLR etc? ! THANKS:)

Attachments

• Castiron.jpeg
    Castiron.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
This is what I use most of the time, either outside on the Weber gasser or inside on the stovetop.

My wife just reminded we have 2 old CI ... pls check pics. One is rusted , the other is ok . Dunno if that "LODGE" is a good brand. Can I restore the rusted one easily using vinegar / CLR etc? ! THANKS:)
Lodge is a very good brand. You can certainly restore what you have. Search YouTube for videos on restoring and seasoning cast iron. There are tons of videos. We have one of the squareish ribbed bottom pans and use it for steak sometimes.

Reactions: miserkris
Lodge is a very good brand. You can certainly restore what you have. Search YouTube for videos on restoring and seasoning cast iron. There are tons of videos. We have one of the squareish ribbed bottom pans and use it for steak sometimes.
Great, what does the ribbed CI do that the flat CI doesnt? Just lines on the meat?!

The ribs on the pan do produce nice char lines, though they also increase the cleaning needed. For any rusted skillet, I scour pretty good to remove rust. Like mentioned above, there's plenty on YouTube to show you the process. I have used grapeseed oil on mine and griddle with much luck. I would recommend season in a grill outside and not your oven. Otherwise your kitchen will definitely smell like burning oil. ☺

The steak was a disaster it was very well done and very tough this is how it happened because I was cooking chicken and steak the steak was an indirect flame in the charcoal grill when it read135 Fahrenheit I took it out and put it in a bowl

Then I heat it up this cast iron skillet very hot over charcoal and I put the steak. after 2- 3 minutes I checked the Sear was good and I turn the steak after 2 minutes and I did another 3 minutes on the other side because sear was not uniform I had to put a weight on top... waited 2 min.

I think the mistake I did was I covered the grill while doing...😩 it photo attached

Attachments

• 20200926_144837.jpg
    20200926_144837.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200926_145914.jpg
    20200926_145914.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 12
Yup, your steak was already at medium when you started the reverse sear. Try Chops advice and start the searing process at 120*, or sear it first then cook to desired temp. I gave up on reverse searing for that very reason. Overshooting the temp.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky